Author Topic: Red bud as a bow wood?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Woody roberts

Red bud as a bow wood?
« on: December 09, 2020, 11:37:33 pm »
I’m plagued with Redbud on my place. Nearly impossible to kill. While out riding the 4 wheeler today I saw one that I believe has a bow in it. I didn’t look it over close but noticed it had a slight bend where the handle would be so natural reflex or gull wing.
I see guys on here who make bows out of unbelievable stuff. I’m sure someone on here has done it.
Is it worth the time?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Red bud as a bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 06:53:57 am »
The wood is the same color as osage. I cut one for my neighbor and noticed this ,with my backyard full of osage logs I didn't try to get a stave out of it but I did wonder "what if'.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 07:31:23 am »
Over the years there have been a few red bud bows made here but I haven't made one. I'd say give it a try.  :BB
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 07:54:20 am »
man we used to smoke that red bud.. didnt know you could build a bow out of it...lol.... gut

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 08:17:53 am »
I’ve seen a couple bows from it, I think it’s related to locust.
The flowers are also edible and taste rather good, reminds me of sweet peas.

Offline monoloco

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 11:50:20 am »
If I were to cut a living redbud, my wife would crucify me!  That said, on our hardscrabble ground, they thrive to a point and then they die.  I have not counted rings but it’s unusual to find a healthy one around here bigger than 4-6” or so?

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 12:05:52 pm »
This tree is about 4” and my plan was to treat it like hickory. Peel the bark and chop off what doesn’t look like a bow. Put it in the rafters of the barn for awhile.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 12:58:55 pm »
Red bud trees are legumes, like peas, soy beans and locust trees that fix nitrogen from the air into the soil.
 You won't be able to just peel the bark this time of year, only during the growing season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 01:45:15 pm »
This tree is about 4” and my plan was to treat it like hickory. Peel the bark and chop off what doesn’t look like a bow. Put it in the rafters of the barn for awhile.

I don’t know a thing about redbud as a bow wood, looking forward to seeing what you do with it. If it were me, I’d strap it to a board in case it likes to move when drying, and go overboard sealing back and ends, and dry slow for a while in case it likes to split when drying. Please post pics and your experience with it.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 04:13:40 pm »
Tree is cut. Now I wonder if I should treat it more like yew and chase a ring with sap on the back and heart on the belly. Decisions decisions

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 08:16:33 am »
Use the wood under the bark for the back. I would split that log in half after about a week so it can dry more evenly.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 01:53:15 pm »
Thanks, will do