Author Topic: Walnut stained "Commonwealth" hickory D bow  (Read 3100 times)

Black Moshannon

Walnut stained "Commonwealth" hickory D bow
« on: December 07, 2020, 07:27:34 pm »
I finished this bow recently. It's sixty pounds at 27"  right now. I've only shot it around eighty times and expect it may lose a little weight which will be good. It's from a small hickory tree, 64" long and 1 1/4 wide, D bow profile, flat belly and naturally crowned back. I heated in a little reflex and heat treated after I got the bow to brace. It has just under an inch of string follow. I attempted to get the outer limbs working more on this bow and I think it's better than some of my priors.. I stained the back, which I left some of the cambium on, with walnut stain I made from hulls.

The arrow pass is a keystone for my Commonwealth State, Pennsylvania of course. I filed a nail head into a keystone shape and burned it in. It didn't come out perfect as you can see. I will try to reshape the nail head a little and see how the next one goes. I was happy that a few people did recognize it as a keystone though. I finished it with tung oil and tru oil and put a linen string on. Shoots snappy so far.  Let me know what you think of it. Thanks for looking

Black Moshannon

Re: Walnut stained "Commonwealth" hickory D bow
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:31:38 pm »
Some more photos.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 07:35:19 pm »
Nice curves
In the woods I find my peace

Black Moshannon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 07:36:54 pm »
And more..

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 07:39:46 pm »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:44:58 pm »
I like it. How’d you make your stain?

Black Moshannon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 07:53:09 pm »
I like it. How’d you make your stain?

I had a bunch of old black walnuts in a bucket. I let some water in there and it sat awhile. I drained it off and it was real dark and thick, like motor oil, and a bit rancid smelling... I ended up mixing it with some vodka and storing in canning jars. Smells better now

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 12:02:04 am »
Cool bow :) Well done. Great stain job.
I think the outer limbs could come around a little more, more so on the upper limb. Just let the set guide you :)

Black Moshannon

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 01:23:15 am »
Cool bow :) Well done. Great stain job.
I think the outer limbs could come around a little more, more so on the upper limb. Just let the set guide you :)

Thanks. Yes I’m getting closer to the right shape but I guess just not quite there. Seemed like I scraped so much off the last twenty inches off limb but it still wasn’t enough. I’ll get bolder on the next one. I notice the middle bending handle section seems to start bending of its own accord without taking off much wood.

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 10:36:03 am »
Kenneth, you sure got a lot of bow out of that Hic Sick! Good looking all the way around.
Have you had a chance to get the mass weight? That would be an interesting number.
H

Black Moshannon

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 12:58:46 pm »
Kenneth, you sure got a lot of bow out of that Hic Sick! Good looking all the way around.
Have you had a chance to get the mass weight? That would be an interesting number.
H

Thanks! I have not weighed it. I haven’t looked into bow mass yet but i’ve been thinking about it lately. I will start weighing them. Are they supposed to be weighed in grams? Also curious how the wood itself would affect that, like red elm is so much lighter than hickory

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 03:56:22 pm »
Awesome bow Kenneth! Love how the cambium camo looks with the walnut stain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 04:21:10 pm »
Thats everything you need for a hunting bow. Very nice.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 06:25:09 pm »
Thanks Pat and Santana. I'm going to hunt with it next year, just a little heavy yet for me now. I'm comfortable with my 53-55# elm bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 05:56:23 am »
Nice job, Hickory makes a fine bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good