Author Topic: chronograph  (Read 2241 times)

Offline ssrhythm

chronograph
« on: December 06, 2020, 02:17:31 pm »
I've decided to buy a chrono...reluctantly...so that as I get better at eliminating obvious performance killing issues like set, set, and set...I will be able to better understand the effects on efficiency of my design choices and wood choices and backing choices.  Is there any particular chrono that y'all recommend?  Any that you recommend to stay away from?  Any nuggets of advice regarding chronographs in general.  As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Offline HH~

Re: chronograph
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 02:21:15 pm »
A good Oehler with a hard wire if you find one/

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 02:44:19 pm »
if you want to save a few bucks, you could also just use cast as a measure of performance.  I think Badger said something like if you shoot a 10 grains per pound arrow drawn 28"... 170 yards is very good, 180 yards is worthy of braggin', 190 yards is exceptional, and anything over 200 yards is world class.  I may have missed it some, but I think that's close.  :)  I have a couple of good chronographs but I'd much rather shoot for the 200 yard away fence.  It also gives you a feel for proper tiller...  just have fun.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 02:56:38 pm »
I've decided to buy a chrono...reluctantly...so that as I get better at eliminating obvious performance killing issues like set, set, and set...I will be able to better understand the effects on efficiency of my design choices and wood choices and backing choices.  Is there any particular chrono that y'all recommend?  Any that you recommend to stay away from?  Any nuggets of advice regarding chronographs in general.  As always, thanks in advance for your help.

An interesting test you can do when you get your chrono is to start checking your speeds at 23" and watch how your efficiency drops off as you draw longer if the bow is taking set. So check 50#@23  50#@24 etc etc. Little bit of work involved as you have to rechart your force draw curves every time you go up an inch. I usually skip 2" or so.

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 05:14:04 pm »
I have a Pro Chrono. It’s my second one. I like it pretty good but I’ve never owned any other brand.
Made in USA and when I needed customer service they were very good to deal with.
Not as inexpensive as some but not as expensive as others.

If this one quits my next one will be a Pro Chrono also.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 05:59:50 pm »
I like that tip Badger, thanks,,

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 07:43:28 pm »
I just picked up a pro chrono pal on midway usa for $90. American made

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 08:19:08 pm »
I have a Caldwell and a Chrony. They give identical results(Within 1 fps, I use them in tandem) but the Caldwell seems to have a bigger sweet spot. The Chrony reads out tenths of a fps but that's not really any use.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 08:20:52 pm »
I use a pro chrono. Works great in natural light. Id get a light bar for it for low light shooting or you get bad results.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 08:23:48 pm »
  I have caldwell, pro chrono and chrony, they all read the same. I suspect high voltage wires may be affecting some of my readings as there seems to be times I can't test because readings come out either 20 fps high or low. I never could make sense of it but has been happening for years. I do best testing indoors with led light kit.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 09:34:34 pm »
in low light I get bad results,, but if the light is good , very consistant,,

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 11:35:15 pm »
in low light I get bad results,, but if the light is good , very consistant,,

Slightly overcast seems to work pretty well. I have these wires about 30 feet from where I have to shoot now and ever since I had to move to that part of the yard I started having problems.

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 08:07:06 am »
Save yourself from buying junk! Reach in yer pocket and pull out some green. if shooting arrows and speed is what is near and dear to your building skills heart and buy an Oehler 35 learn how to use it.

I use to see the IBO and ASA with their bow check station and LMAO shooting thru a junk 100 chrono in the woods to check speeds. Who knows what that thing was telling folks. I bet they even used to bounce guys off shoot who exceeded speeds. Call the Chrono Cops.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline scp

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 08:38:27 am »
There are many ways to skin a cat.

"Measure your arrow speed with sound"
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=59214.0

It would be good enough for most people, especially for hobbyists, to know the ballpark figure and relative speed of their bows.

I have a chrono, but I don't mind the margin of error of several FPS. If one cannot provide exact numbers against certain products, one is not arguing from actual strength, but just spreading a propaganda.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 09:35:44 am »
My vote is go middle of the road with a Caldwell G2. It’s an upside down unit with a set of light bars on the bottom and the reading sensors are always in the shadow of the unit. So light conditions will not effect the readings. It also does not fold so you don’t have to worry about having the unit unfolded perfectly flat. Which will also give fake speeds if a folding unit is slightly folded and the gap between sensors will be shorter. I have tested it against a magneto speed on many rifles and I trust the magnetic reader to give more consistent results. And they are always right on each other given the calculating for the magneto being attached to muzzle and the G2 being several feet away. So it’s same shot being read by both chronies. Can’t beat that for comparing.

I general dont care exactly how fast my bows are but like to periodically check to see if the same bow is shifting over time.
Kyle