Author Topic: Help Arvin finish this recurve  (Read 12294 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Help Arvin finish this recurve
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2020, 07:30:01 pm »
Any chance you can chrono it and weigh the arrow?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2020, 08:09:40 pm »
Arrow 458 gr. Bamboo,27-28” draw 50# 246 yds. I can’t crono to cloudy . We have to wait grasshopper. Maybe Monday.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline sleek

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2020, 08:21:35 pm »
Arrow 458 gr. Bamboo,27-28” draw 50# 246 yds. I can’t crono to cloudy . We have to wait grasshopper. Maybe Monday.

I'm on stand by. I dont think I can compete with that with a 26 inch draw. You are gonna make me step up my game here.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2020, 08:23:14 pm »
Enjoyed this adventure Arvin. Thanks for bringing us along.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

bownarra

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2020, 12:36:45 am »
I think you could get some more out of it with shorter , sharper recurves. They would give you a bit more working limb and more 'leverage' for energy storage.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2020, 06:36:02 am »
I think you could get some more out of it with shorter , sharper recurves. They would give you a bit more working limb and more 'leverage' for energy storage.

That was my first thought to, but I was thinking maybe they are working. Arvin  confirmed they are working and I can see in the full draw that they are. They might hold up better working like this?

Interesting post I really enjoyed it.

Bjrogg

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2020, 08:47:46 am »
Maybe on shorter limb . Kevin had that style at flats maybe less work at the recurves it it was about 2” wide at fades. His got the job done in flight at 26” but my longbow won out in the broadhead division. Probably about same speed. He might have bit of a different view. Woke up to sun so I will test the speed later today. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2020, 09:51:45 am »
Guys I rechecked he weight this morning.50@27 I exercised it a bit finally shot The bow . Short drew the bow. I don’t believe it and y’all won’t either probably. Shot for five or six times. High 190s to 211. Will have to build a special arrow for this one. It’s to perfect to mess with at this point. Arrow weight 458gr. It’s sinking that broadhead pretty deep and i can hardly pull the arrow out. I know that means nothing but I still have to two hand the broadhead. Arvin

Offline sleek

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2020, 10:20:12 am »
Congratulations on that! Id be dancing in my shoes if I got those numbers. Now I know I have to increase my draw length. I was hoping to get by with 26 inches next year too.

Offline DC

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2020, 10:27:25 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2020, 10:32:36 am »
Maybe on shorter limb . Kevin had that style at flats maybe less work at the recurves it it was about 2” wide at fades. His got the job done in flight at 26” but my longbow won out in the broadhead division. Probably about same speed. He might have bit of a different view. Woke up to sun so I will test the speed later today. Arvin

My view is you have the superior design. My short bow has always been a way to limit my variables and maximize efficiencies with the remaining factors. I've just been trying to play catch up to your arrow for 2 years now. Lebhuntfish, aka Patrick has a design out there that I haven't been able to beat yet either.  Yet. 

Anyways, dont stop building now, you can still make a faster bow than this one.

Offline Badger

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2020, 10:35:27 am »
   Arvin, I believe you but I don't believe the reading you are getting. The profile is just not aggressive enough to get those kind of numbers. Your flight shots indicate a speed of about 180 or low 180's. There is a glitch in some of the chronos that I have noticed that will put speeds either 20 fps fast or 20 fps slow. I could never figure it out but I have a feeling thats what you are getting. I could be wrong of course but I have tested scores of bows with similar profiles and certain rules seem to apply.

Offline sleek

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2020, 10:39:19 am »
Here it sets one coat of raddle can. It’s getting wet and humid here. The handle is 2” thick . The belly of the recurves touch table at same time. The string knocks are 3-1/2 “ off the table.

I see a common thing here between your bow and mine worth exploring. Both have the tips 3 inches above the handle. Yours is half an inch further however. With your design being so long, I think you can obtain high speeds easier than my shorter bow can. If you haven't already gone faster than I can, you are close and won't be long before you do. It looks like you may have just joined the 200 fps club. I think there are 3 people in it now if so, Mark, Steve, now you. Im VERY excited to see that. Especially with the bow design you used. Congratulations on that achievement sir, it's a big one!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2020, 10:46:58 am »
Shot a crappy arrow that was 27 to back of point still looking for it. Shot this arrow Kevin borrowed last summer. It weighed in at 494 gr. 228 then snap shoot 243yds. Now I feel comfortable saying I beat Steve’s 223yds with old five hundred gr. rule.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2020, 10:52:44 am »
Kinda miss Patrick. It’s been awhile since I’ve heard anything from him.
Bjrogg