Author Topic: Ironwood flatbow (hhb) with natural centershot handle and buffalo grip  (Read 7170 times)

Offline willie

Re: Ironwood flatbow (hhb) with natural centershot handle and buffalo grip
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 03:29:37 am »
The reason I'm interested in frequency to begin with is that Ive been wondering  about making something similar to Badger’s mass theory model but with frequency as the variable instead.

modeling and developing guidelines for bowmaking  gives us all comparative benchmarks to share and improve from  :)

to follow a bit better what you are hoping to do, could you give a bit more explanation of what frequency you are thinking about? would not each limb tend to set up a shock wave when returning home at its own frequency? Amplitudes being less or more noticeable?

Offline dreamcraft_archery

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 05:23:02 am »
Beautiful work my friend!
And very interesting experiments with design!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 07:02:43 am »
Good looking bow, beautiful finish.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 03:48:15 pm »
Well done!!!! Why so long? You have a long draw? Again very nice bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Will B

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 03:55:19 pm »
Beautifully crafted character bow. I love natural center-shot bows. Great job with the bow and your pictures!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 09:58:08 pm »
Beautiful bow.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 09:25:15 pm »
This bow looks great and I love the colors and profile. Really enjoying your Youtube channel, very relaxing ambiance and scenery. Could drift off to sleep to it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2020, 02:20:00 pm »
beautiful congrats,, )P(

Offline MM2

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 08:44:06 am »
Beautiful and very inspiring!

Thank's for sharing.

Michael

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2020, 03:39:19 pm »
Nice job from a challenging piece of wood. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 03:40:55 pm »
The reason I'm interested in frequency to begin with is that Ive been wondering  about making something similar to Badger’s mass theory model but with frequency as the variable instead.

modeling and developing guidelines for bowmaking  gives us all comparative benchmarks to share and improve from  :)

to follow a bit better what you are hoping to do, could you give a bit more explanation of what frequency you are thinking about? would not each limb tend to set up a shock wave when returning home at its own frequency? Amplitudes being less or more noticeable?

I’ve really been throwing around my terms Willie, I haven’t thought this through all the way so hopefully  someone can shoot some holes in my thinking.  I’m talking about the spring frequency, assuming that bows are simple springs. Of course this isn’t true and might ruin the idea right on the spot.

I’m thinking the simplest way to measure this would be to ‘dry fire’ a limb (unbraced) from a few inches so you can measure the oscillation  frequency (in other words predicting the dry fire speed by assuming the bow is a simple spring) If bows really were simple springs you would only have to hit the limb like a tuning fork but I think pulling a bit more will be more accurate.

Here’s what I think  would have to hold true for the model  to work.  1—early in tillering  the frequency will be very high and drops as you tiller. 2—It’s possible to predict the frequency of a finished bow from the specifications, using a model from a large data pool (same as we do with mass)  3— A bow with too low a frequency judging by the model is not heavily stressed, and could be drawn farther, or made narrower, or shorter. Similarly a bow with too high a frequency is under built and will overwhelm itself.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 03:44:30 pm »
Well done!!!! Why so long? You have a long draw? Again very nice bow. Arvin

This one only draws 28”. The set isn’t too bad at 3/4” per limb but would have been worse if I went  for more draw length or shortened the bow. I’ve made similar designs 68” long in the past but this piece really challenged my skills. I’m sure a better bowyer could get more from it with better tiller.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:48:49 pm by Santanasaur »

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2020, 03:46:46 pm »
This bow looks great and I love the colors and profile. Really enjoying your Youtube channel, very relaxing ambiance and scenery. Could drift off to sleep to it.

Thanks Kenneth, I’m making a how to video for the handle that should come out soon. Have also been working on a magazine repeater for bows, just for fun. That’ll be out there today or tomorrow

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2020, 07:36:14 pm »
72" is a good length.  Many of my bows are within 66"-74".  I like the low stack and they're good for accuracy and durability.  Of course I haven't hunting with one yet.

Keep in mind that there can be standing waves along the length of the limb, just like in a vibrating string.

The only springs I've studied so far are modeled as massless, which is certainly not true for a bow, but hopefully I'll be able to do the math on this stuff in a few years.

Offline willie

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 08:32:15 pm »

I’ve really been throwing around my terms Willie, I haven’t thought this through all the way so hopefully  someone can shoot some holes in my thinking.  I’m talking about the spring frequency, assuming that bows are simple springs. Of course this isn’t true and might ruin the idea right on the spot.

I’m thinking the simplest way to measure this would be to ‘dry fire’ a limb (unbraced) from a few inches so you can measure the oscillation  frequency (in other words predicting the dry fire speed by assuming the bow is a simple spring) If bows really were simple springs you would only have to hit the limb like a tuning fork but I think pulling a bit more will be more accurate.

Here’s what I think  would have to hold true for the model  to work.  1—early in tillering  the frequency will be very high and drops as you tiller. 2—It’s possible to predict the frequency of a finished bow from the specifications, using a model from a large data pool (same as we do with mass)  3— A bow with too low a frequency judging by the model is not heavily stressed, and could be drawn farther, or made narrower, or shorter. Similarly a bow with too high a frequency is under built and will overwhelm itself.
[/quote]

I think thickness would be a determinant and length also, at least length of the working section I believe. so many variables to consider. density etc.

A little off topic maybe, but could I ask?  Would developing the model would be useful to bowyers of all skill levels?  Or perhaps a way to investigate new designs?