Author Topic: "Perfect Tiller"  (Read 3994 times)

Offline DC

Re: "Perfect Tiller"
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 10:52:25 am »
I guess I'll have to try it. I have a Black Locust pyramid with fairly circular tiller. I don't really like the bow so it's a good subject. I'm I little concerned that I won't be able to get it to hold any amount of reflex but we'll see. I'll have to check that there is enough to cut and resplice. I'll take before and after pictures and measurements. Probably won't get much done today, there's something interesting to watch on CNN ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 01:14:54 pm »
OK it took a while. I had string alignment issues(still do a bit).
I cut it in half and steamed reflex into both limbs. Then I heat treated them. It had already been heat treated but this one was to help hold the reflex. Then I spliced it back together. Lost about 1/2"-1" in length from the resplice. I haven't pulled it to FD yet because of the string alignment but I wanted to get it back on here. I aslo wanted to get a picture before the reflex pulls out(if it does). I'll put the different views together so the difference is easier to see. Unbraced first.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 01:16:39 pm »
Braced. Top(right) limb took a little more reflex I think.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 01:21:23 pm »
Full draw. This is quite interesting. The before picture looks almost whip tillered. I think I like the after. I'll have to look at it for a while. I never touched the limbs except for the heat treat and cutting in string grooves to help keep the string on. The tips were quite narrow and convex. The DL on the before is 27" and the after is about 24" I'll get a better one after I sort the alignment.

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 01:49:15 pm »
   That looks good.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 01:53:03 pm »
It's interesting in how much it changed. You can see why and it was expected but I was surprised by the amount of change.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 02:02:42 pm »
That is very interesting DC
In the woods I find my peace

Offline simk

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 02:13:05 pm »
I like that experiment too DC! thank you! Sure you will also provide further data (# - fps), before and after changing design ;D 
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 02:33:14 pm »
I like that experiment too DC! thank you! Sure you will also provide further data (# - fps), before and after changing design ;D

Unfortunately I forgot to take a before speed. Shoot me, I'm old ;D I do remember it wasn't very impressive. High 170's maybe, I dunno. I think I will be bending future bows a little more in the middle though. If you look at the before it's not bending much in the middle but it looks like it's bending a lot in the after. I really don't think it's changed all that much. I'm going to have to figure out how to manipulate photos a little better so I can overlay the images.

Offline simk

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 03:14:33 pm »
mistakes happen - I do plenty even as a younger fart - always so many little thigs to consider (in advance  :)) with these bows.  I was expecting it to hinge even more close to the fade after deflexing and also that you need scraping the mid and outers, loosing a lot of drawweight. fades look a little critical to me already, especially right side (but could also be a natural deflex in the wood), so i think a whip tillered bow wouldn't be too bad for this experiments. keep 'em coming  ;D
--- the queen rules ----

Online sleek

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2020, 10:44:51 pm »
Looks good, like I said, as you deflex, tips take less strain and inner limbs take more. How much reflex have you got on that bow right now?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 12:15:52 am »
Cool experiment DC.  If you see set starting to appear, could you note it's location for us?

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 11:06:22 am »
There was about 2" of reflex when it came off the caul. There is 1" now. Like I said earlier I don't have a lot of luck keeping heated in reflex. I got the string alignment sorted unless it moved overnight so I can speed test it today. The DW is about 38#, down 2# I believe.
I was mostly interested in the shape of the tiller so wasn't thinking about performance. I really dropped the ball on recording this. I should have traced the outline and forgot. I should have taken DW and speed readings and forgot. I seem to be getting cabin fever early this year. Normally happens in late winter but this year it's early fall. Age I guess.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2020, 11:30:08 am »
The only solution is to do it all again  (SH)
In the woods I find my peace

Offline willie

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2020, 11:37:32 am »
There was about 2" of reflex when it came off the caul. There is 1" now. Like I said earlier I don't have a lot of luck keeping heated in reflex.

loosing heated in reflex could be the wood or the reflexing job I suppose. 

Do you see any set taking on the inners? Anything that might support Sleeks theory?