Author Topic: Hickory Rings  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Piddler

Hickory Rings
« on: October 26, 2020, 05:54:35 pm »
Fellas,
I have never worked Hickory and need some advice. Should I go down to the darker rings or just start under the cambium.
Thanks in advance.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory Rings
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:05:59 pm »
Use what's under the bark if you can easily access it. What time of year was it cut? If summer you might be able to peel the bark off in one piece, if not then you'll need a draw knife and some elbow grease.  :BB
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 08:10:40 pm »
I would use what's right under the bark, those are two good rings right at the top
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 11:29:35 pm »
I used the bark off back as is.  Added a "Meare Heath" style rawhide wrap.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Piddler

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 05:13:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas. Just under the bark it is.
Pat it is an old stave so no peeling this one without any elbow grease. I actually have the bark off, except for a dip in it, and working on the cambium layer.
Allyn T, Yes the first two seem good but my first with hickory so thanks for the input.
Hawkdancer, I'll have to check into the Meare Heath style wrap. Not familiar with it.
Probably have some more questions later on but for now thanks again.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 08:48:46 am »
where you are located has a HUGE amount of influence on how to treat hickory... first off use back under bark no need to chase a ring.. if out west get to at minimum under 12% or it will take set 9 % is better but not under 8% too dry...... if in South or anywhere with high humidity it is a challenge...will not get below 15% outside no matter how long it sits... must be roughed out and put in controlled climate for at least 6 months.. getting hickory dry enough before tilling is critical to making hickory as good as osage.... it is much lighter in hand than osage and every bit as fast when done right...gut

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 11:01:38 am »
Just out of curiosity does anyone know why Hickory is so hygroscopic? Must be some chemical responsible.

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 12:14:18 pm »
good question that I have no answer for... I know bamboo is pretty much the same way... pecan too I would imagine... however I have yet to fool with pecan... gut

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 12:34:11 pm »
I did a google search but got no joy.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 12:46:46 pm »
I've never seen any concrete evidence that Hickory is actually more hydroscopic than other wood species. When looking up numbers on wood movement compared to other commonly used bow woods, hickory has more movement than other woods at higher moisture levels so that might have something to do with it.

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 02:06:31 pm »
having worked hickory numerous times I can firmly stand by it is just a sponge when it comes to moisture... and it will take set easily above 12% ... when below 12% not below 8% it is as good as osage. IMO...it will not get below 15% no matter how long it sits outside in the south..I have had roughed out bows sit in barn for over 8 years and not drop below 15 %.. dang bugs got to them before they would get dry... all my hickory bows spent at least 6 months in a heated closet space...  gut

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 06:23:34 pm »
having worked hickory numerous times I can firmly stand by it is just a sponge when it comes to moisture... and it will take set easily above 12% ... when below 12% not below 8% it is as good as osage. IMO...it will not get below 15% no matter how long it sits outside in the south..I have had roughed out bows sit in barn for over 8 years and not drop below 15 %.. dang bugs got to them before they would get dry... all my hickory bows spent at least 6 months in a heated closet space...  gut
What do you use to seal your hickory bows and how do you keep them dry for years after finished

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 06:47:00 am »
Allyn T  watch Keith Shannon on utube on fire hardening white woods, and listen to his claims. You may want to give that a shot. I have 2 Hickory green bows on forms right now to experiment with fire hardening  using his method. It is raining , but when we get some dry weather I am going to fire harden those 2. I have tried Walnut ,and Elm so far, but can make no real claims yet.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 06:57:05 am »
Allyn T  watch Keith Shannon on utube on fire hardening white woods, and listen to his claims. You may want to give that a shot. I have 2 Hickory green bows on forms right now to experiment with fire hardening  using his method. It is raining , but when we get some dry weather I am going to fire harden those 2. I have tried Walnut ,and Elm so far, but can make no real claims yet.
Wasn't there a big uproar on here a few years ago about this? People were saying it was just like Marc's heat treating method? I'll check out the video.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 07:23:18 am »
That was a cool video, I can't believe how fast they made that bow. Dear lord you can tell when someone knows what they are doing