Author Topic: ELB vs D bow  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
ELB vs D bow
« on: October 13, 2020, 08:52:54 pm »
What's the main difference between an ELB and a bend in the handle D bow? Are there benefits one has over the other? Just curious and wanting to see what people think
In the woods I find my peace

Offline dylanholderman

Re: ELB vs D bow
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 09:46:09 pm »
as i understand it they can be one and the same.

to me ELB refers "mostly" to cross section (aside from the horn nocks) and "D bow" refers mostly to profile.

i do however reserve the right to be wrong if someone comes along and corrects my terminology  ;D

i think generally what people call a D bow is a little bit wider and flatter than a ELB and is picked when using a wood that doesn't respond well to a deep narrow cross section.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:57:34 pm »
   one is flat and the other more rounded belly,,
hickory is better flat,,yew works with the rounded belly,, I am over simplifying ,,but thats kind of the basic of it,,,,like stated above,,
depends on the wood,, if you look at the Native American D bows,, it will give you good idea of the design,,and what wood they used,,,same with English Long Bow,,
   if the bows are laminated, then it changes alot,,and thats out of my area of expertise,, but others will chime in,,

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 01:00:26 am »
The main difference is length and therefore energy storage :)
Profile isn't something that should be held onto religiously, such and such a bow has to have a certain belly radius etc. No - see what the wood can take and build appriopriately. Most elbs don't or shouldn't have very rounded bellies. Yew included :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 02:14:15 am »
  the elb has very specific specifications it has to meet, the belly has to be at least slightly rounded and at no part of the bow should the thickness be less than 5/8 of the width. It does not suit all woods.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 06:44:15 am »
So on ELB's the thickest part of the bow is the handle, is that true for D bows as well or do they just bend in the handle but can flair wider after that? Eastern Red Cedar is good for ELB correct?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 09:04:12 am »
They are variations of the same thing.  The  arbitrary rule required for an ELB in  various classes is what gives it  what's perceived as a separate category.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 10:06:59 am »
Various classes as in competitions?

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 10:45:25 am »
Yes..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 10:50:44 am »
I don't think length has much to do with it although most ELBs are man(woman) height. "D" bows, referring to the Eastern Woodland style can be from bows in the 40"+ range to over 7" for the Cherokee war bow.
I think Brad's description makes it simple and easier to understand. ERC can make a good ELB but the wood condition(knots, etc.)have to be considered. I shot an all sapwood ERC ELB a few years ago that shot surprisingly well.
 For lam bows you have to consider both the back material as well as the belly material. The core isn't that critical.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 10:53:06 am »
Does the "D" refer to the side profile or a cross section on the limb? I think I've heard both.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 10:59:43 am »
DC, I consider a "D" bow as a bendy handle bow, one with a side profile braced that looks like a "D". An ELB is a "D" bow because of it's "D" shape braced unless it is a Victorian style with a stiff handle area. When referring to cross section an ELB has a deep, narrow cross section and a standard "D" bow has a flat, rectangular cross section.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:40:23 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 11:38:17 am »
 D for the side profile more than the cross section.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 12:10:49 pm »
I think of it like Pat B - except for the Victorian style he mentions, all ELBs are D bows, but not all D bows are ELBs.  Someone did explain "D bow" to me in terms of the round belly cross section, but the side profile shape makes more sense.  (Dean Torges didn't help things by calling D bows "C bows" and stiff handled bows "D bows" in his book...)

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 12:48:05 pm »
I figured they were basically the same, all bourbon is whiskey but not all whiskey is bourbon : )