Author Topic: fixed crawl/string walking question  (Read 1204 times)

Offline mutt

fixed crawl/string walking question
« on: October 13, 2020, 05:35:35 am »
Can a self bow be tillered to shoot either of these methods?
or is this a taboo subject in the primitive realm? Just looking to be able  shoot better.

Offline silent sniper

Re: fixed crawl/string walking question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 06:14:36 am »
A wood bow could certainly be tillered to be used with a fixed crawl as long as you planned for it from the beginning. You would just have to know where your fingers are going to be on the string and tiller the limbs from there.

I do not personally think string walking would work well with a wood bow. Most the glass bows sound like they are in distress when shot this way. But I have not tried it so I can’t say for sure, I could be wrong.

Enjoy,
Taylor

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:55:31 am »
+1 to SS's thoughts. A fixed crawl should be no problem if tillered that way from the beginning, but string walking really loads up the bottom limb. A long bow made with a longer lower limb might survive it, but you would be tempting fate quite heavily.

Mark

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:34:14 am »
agree with above, that being said, if you overbuilt the bow,, made it longer wider, it would not be as sensative the the stresses mentioned,, and could hold up depending on the wood and design,, you might be giving up some cast to accomodate the shooting style,,requiring a lighter arrow to achieve the target accuracy u desire,,
I havent tried it either,, so reserve the right to be wrong,, :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:08:14 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:45:28 pm »
would need to be really overbuilt and tillered past what you would actually draw it to because when you move you hand youll be putting more stress on one limb and less stress on another, so if your shooting at a draw of 26" and you move your hand down the string and draw, (and this is just an estament) but the bottom limb would be bending like a 27" draw and the top would be bending like a 25" draw. now it may actually bend more than that or less. i was just guessing but your limbs still have to have a good tiller even if they are bending more and have more stress on them.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:17:12 pm »
Like SS said, I think it should be no worries, just make sure you pull it on the tree like you would when shooting and perhaps leave the bottom limb a bit wider to accommodate for the extra stress?

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 01:01:52 am »
Just don't do it :)
Those things don't help anything anyway so why bother :)

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 04:19:23 pm »
Maybe not for hunting ,but if you are shooting a blue faced target at 20 yards with a self bow for score a fixed crawl is a deadly way to shoot, and you can tiller a self bow  for a fixed crawl. I shoot 2 fingers under ,so it is not quite as critical by one finger. It involves a positive tiller which is a lighter top limb .