Author Topic: laminated bow  (Read 4498 times)

Offline swimbill

laminated bow
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:30:10 am »
I am a newbie in bow making, my question is abut making a laminated bow.  Can I use Osage boards and some other dark (like walnut) wood to make a laminated reflex/deflex long bow?  I have a place tht sells all different types of hardwoods in board form, and I can use my thickness planer to make the laminations.  If this is possible is 3 pieces at 1/4 inch thickness acceptable?  If not what is?  Any advise is appreciated.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: laminated bow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:08:03 am »
3 pieces 1/4" thick will be a strong bow.  You will probably still need a backing of some sort. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 11:29:40 am »
Like Justin said, you will need something like hickory or bamboo for backing.
Gordon

radius

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:56:20 am »
i've been making laminated bows with osage lately.  1/4 inch is too think.  One of my new bows has 1/8 hickory backing,  and 2 osage lams 3/16 thick...and it draws 58# at 28.  look at the thread in the buildalongs called (Inspired by Rodney Wright's Firehawk..)

If you are going to use a riser and glue the laminations to it, 1/4 inch might be too thick for an easy and complete bend around the fades.

Offline swimbill

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 03:22:14 pm »
thanks for the quick responses, I am planning on adding a riser so it looks as if 1/8 inch laminations would be better.  is any wood combinations better than others?

Joe M

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:27:32 pm »
My next project is a Maple backed Birch longbow with a 1/8" center Ash.  I've done a Maple backed Hickory longbow with a 1/8" center Ash and it's owner has been very pleased with it.  If I remember right I'm thinking it finished #51 @ 28"...  I used (and use) TiteBond III to join all my woods.  I think that's pretty good stuff! :)

Good luck with your project!