Author Topic: Red oak board bow tiller help please. (Updated pics)  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Fractured

Red oak board bow tiller help please. (Updated pics)
« on: October 03, 2020, 06:48:48 pm »
Hello everyone, looking for some input on tiller for this bow that I am working on.  Its a red oak, linen  backed flat bow, 57 inches nock to nock.  2 inches at the fades for 2/3 limb with last third or so tapering to 1/2 inch.  Handle section is 4 inches and fades are 2 inches in length.  Currently pulling 40# at 25 inches. 

Tiller looks a little off to me for some reason.  I feel like I'm getting too much bending at the handle.  Id like to squeeze as much draw length as I can and not lose too much poundage.  Was originally aiming for 45#.

Untitled by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Any input would be greaty appreciated.

Updated pictures.  Ended up 40# at 28 inches prior to shooting it.  I worked on the limbs and left the handle alone.  I think the handle section looks better.  The pictures of the set are with limbs rested.  Unstrung pic on stump is after shooting. Let me know where i can improve.

Untitled by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Bows by Matthew Chodat, on Flickr

Thanks,
Fractured

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:28:49 pm by Fractured »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red oak board bow tiller help please.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 07:50:08 pm »
Too much bend at the handle. Get the limbs bending more and don't touch the handle area...and don't pull it that far until you tiller it out to full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »
I would consider adding to the handle area and re-tillering. Can you link to a pic of a bow about the same length you like?

Offline Kidder

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 09:55:53 pm »
If it was me I would heat treat the handle area to stiffen it up and then start tillering wood off of mid limbs on both limbs, although the right limb appears stiffer than the left in the mid limb.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 01:30:22 am »
You can still gte a bow out of it but you have pulled it much too far with the weak center section.
As mentioned do not touch the middle at all.
You should have an elliptical tiller with your width taper.
Least bend in the middle, with the bend increasing as you move along the limbs. The last 6- 8 inchs or so should be more or less non bending.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 08:24:34 am »
Agree completely.  Bending way to much in handle. When looking at tiller I find it helps me not to just look at overall bend, but look at each part of limbs bend. Look for places that are stiff and not bending enough. Look for place that are weak and bending to much.

If you look at where handle is on your tree. Just look at that area not entire bow. Can you see how it is bending in a v shape? It is under extreme stress there and what we call a hinge. The only way to relieve this stress is to not remove wood from hinge area and remove wood from rest of bow to allow other areas to bend taking stress off hinge area.

Bjrogg

PS handle area bending to much is very common problem. It naturally has the most stress and should be the thickest. Limb should taper in thickness and or width as it moves towards tips.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Fractured

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 08:55:27 am »
Thanks for all the feedback.  Getting to work on it today.  I’ll post an update later.   

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 10:48:08 am »
   I would trash the bow and start over, too much bend in the handle on a red oak bow can be dangerous. Or drop it to about 25# and retiller.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 01:12:57 pm »
probably not so good to pull it that far and leave it, a pully is less strain on the wood too

Offline Fractured

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 03:58:12 pm »
probably not so good to pull it that far and leave it, a pully is less strain on the wood too

Definitely on my list.   :OK

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 09:10:42 pm »
yeah.... that would really hurt your hand if you shot that!  :P  ;D ;D    normally on a bendy handle, the handle is the last thing you want to bend when tillering. maybe glue a handle on and make a stiff one? other wise do what the other guys say and work the limbs. Good luck!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 09:41:01 pm »
ok how much string follow does it have now,, could we see unbraced,,
maybe just make the belly the back, and sinew back it and tiller,, I have never done that, but have read it would work on board bow, it might be worth a try before giving up on it,,

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 12:29:58 am »
yeah.... that would really hurt your hand if you shot that!  :P  ;D ;D    normally on a bendy handle, the handle is the last thing you want to bend when tillering. maybe glue a handle on and make a stiff one? other wise do what the other guys say and work the limbs. Good luck!!

You would never get a glue-on handle to stick.

Offline scp

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 12:34:54 pm »
It probably has too much set already. As suggested, I would heat treat the belly severely and turn it into a youth or target bow of less that 30 pound draw weight, with recurved tips.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 01:40:55 pm »
ok Im still thinking you could turn the set into reflex,, it would be more work and riskier than a light poundage bow, but maybe fun to try,, especially since I am not doing it,, (--)