Author Topic: I am getting too old  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: I am getting too old
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 06:33:06 pm »
I have broken my back twice, had to have fusion the last time, that was a game changer, no more swinging that sledge to split osage.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 11:38:14 pm »
I noticed that as well!  Might be why I keep putting off getting a new handle for the sledge hammer!  Just trying to move stuff around in the shop can be a few days of less than comfort!  I need to learn to pace myself a bit better!  Got to be some young guys around who will split it for you, though!  That hydraulic splitter is a good idea, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 01:18:54 am »
For you guys with aged injured bodies....I strongly recommend finding a good pilates teacher. :) Don't just accept it there is a whole lot you can do to help yourself :)

Offline HH~

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 05:47:13 am »
i just keep Suk n it Up. Tell myself "if you give in yer a REMF". I do have to do some Yoga type phyisical therapy on a regular basis for my hip and knees. If I stopped running and ruck marching it would prolly not be needed? Never saw an old Paratrooper that had good luck with them unless your one the WWII Vets who did only four Jumps; Salerno, Normandy, Sicily, Market Garden. I knew a few guys that only did all four. Unfortunately I did more than I can remember.

Sucks Now

HH~
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:42:10 pm by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 06:40:59 am »
Just a little bit south of 70 so getting there myself.  Damaged my back twice over the years and I'm paying for it now with a pinched nerve in 2 places that's affecting my left leg. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 06:58:27 am »
I keep soldering on the best I can, I speed walk 9 miles a week and work out with light weights at the gym on M-W-F. I made an appointment to start replacing my bad hips but backed out for now.

I am in pretty good shape for a guy my age (72) but do have my limits.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 08:51:57 am »
I know the feeling. I've broken my back and hip and 45 years of karate and that many more working on Drill rigs has wore a lot of my parts out. I haven't been able to pull a bow back since March. I've got a pinched nerve in my neck that has been cramping my style. But like the rest of y'all, I just keep on plugging away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 10:07:45 am »
I remember reading Jim Hamm's description of how he split big Osage logs. "I beat on the wedges till I pass out. Then I get up and do it some more," or something like that.

My Osage opportunities are limited. But after bypass surgery, I'm no longer concerned that I will have a  heart attack. I just stop to catch my breath, then go back at it. I have gotten choosy about what I cut and am willing to make fence posts out twisty knotty stuff.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 01:03:46 pm »
Yep, Hedge, there's only 3 places you can get hurt jumping, in the bird, in the air, and hitting the ground!  Nothing that x number fewer jumps wouldn't solve, and fewer bounces! (lol). You are only supposed to land once per jump!  Keep on ruck in' as long as you can!  Those WWII GUYS were real heroes and lucky as well, those were all hot DZ's!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 02:01:24 pm »
I've always wanted to try osage... but I get old and tired just looking at those monstrous rounds.  I think those could be well suited for dugout canoe making.  Yikes.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 06:21:17 pm »
Eric it’s probably just wisdom that comes from years of experience. Pretty sure you don’t have to prove anything to those logs.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2020, 06:47:53 pm »
Hedge is ok, moving it is tough. With a few hands its OK. By yerself. Split at cut site for sure.

I here ya Mullet. Sounds like yer lookin at a plate in yer neck?

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 07:03:34 pm »
I drove to the gym again today, not only did they cut the tree I mentioned but every osage in about 300 yards of right-away I counted 5 total, not all were bow quality, the trunks appeared to be gone but the tops were pushed back in the underbrush, someone knew what they were good for.

Offline bassman

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2020, 04:17:22 am »
I fell 20 feet on March 23 of this year, and cracked my ribs in 17 places, and fractured 3 vertabrae. Laid in a trauma unit for 2 weeks of Hell. I am still build bows ,but only from saplings. Busted up, and being 72 years old I can't handle logs any more. lucky to be alive, and walking. Now I shoot bows in the 35 to 40 lb. range, and cherish every day.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 06:50:49 am »
I hear yall, 45 + years as a heavy truck mechanic took it's toll over the years , but Ha , I just keep plugging along . ;) I have always planned on leaving this world worn slap out and I think that is going to happen. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good