Author Topic: How to get started in bow making ?  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Jacob1

How to get started in bow making ?
« on: September 04, 2020, 09:58:33 am »
Wanting to make a bow and wanted to ask people who knew what they were doing .

Offline dylanholderman

Re: How to get started in bow making ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 10:07:28 am »
the best way to learn is to just start  :) get a clean stick or a straight grained board and start bending it! post pics and ask questions here the guys here have helped plenty of people build their first bow.

don't be upset if your first couple bows aren't very good or break, thats just part of the leaning process.

there are plenty of good books on the subject and they are useful for having all the information consolidated in one place rather then hunting around online. on that subject there are some good youtube series and i think a couple of forum members have free websites with information available if reading is more your learning style.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 10:11:33 am »
It helps if we know where you are, as resources are not evenly distributed around the globe.
And we can't always help if we are on another continent!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 10:26:14 am »
I am located in va USA also is rattan/manau good for beginners cus I found a place that sells it cheap and heard it was good for bows

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 10:33:57 am »
isnt rattan a cane? well, what i would recommend would be a red oak, hickory, white oak, or hard maple board. i started with red oak and maple but i would recommend hickory or white oak if you have it in store.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 11:02:20 am »
Check out George Tsoukalas' site for very good info for beginners and anyone, actually.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/archer.html
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 11:48:58 am »
Joining this community is a great first step. It's how many of us got our start. Some things you'll want to consider... Do you want to work with boards or split staves (or both). Boards are cheaper and don't require seasoning but there is some basic skill and knowledge required to select a good board for a bow, both in species and grain orientation. Also, think about what kind of learner you are. Some people do well with a book in their hand, figuring it out on their own. Some like hands on, face to face help. For that you could find a skilled bowyer near you who teaches workshops or would be willing to help you out one on one. There are a lot of good youtube videos out there, many that will walk you through the whole process. You can even use the forum here to have people walk you through. You can post pictures of your progress at each step and people will give you their advice. The benefit is that you can get a variety of approaches and ideas, the down side is that you will get a variety of approaches and ideas.  ;D If you don't have any experience it can be hard to know who to listen to if the advice is conflicting. For me, I was lucky enough to have an outstanding bowyer living within a couple hours of me and I paid him to help me make a bow. Then I made friends with other local bowyers and worked with them and picked their brains. I also frequented this forum and asked a lot of questions and carefully observed other people's process and finished products. My advice is to make sure you're starting with a good, clean straight piece of wood from a reputable bow wood species, either a board or a stave. Then pick a simple and straight forward flatbow design with straight limbs and focus on understanding the basics of design and tiller. Don't try to make your first bow be the best bow in the world that will serve every purpose you want out of a bow. That's too much pressure. Have a basic goal for draw weight and draw length and shoot for that but only stop when you've got a perfect tiller, even if that means you have a 20# bow. What part of the country are you in? that will dictate your local woods and might help you find other bowyers in your area.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 11:51:27 am »
oh! and a tillering gizmo!!! those are very helpful when your just starting and i still use a straight edge.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 11:59:06 am »
Get the books “the traditional bowyers bible” vol 1 & 4. Your library should be able to get them for you via the Ill program. Find a stave source, if you live in a wooded area this is simple as finding an area that is being cleared off for a subdivision or high line clearing. Ask for permission to cut a 4” diameter hickory, elm, hackberry tree. Look for one that is straight non twisted bark, and free of limbs or large knots from ground level to a couple inches over your head. Get it split in half, bark peeled and ends sealed, and out of the weather to dry. While waiting on it to dry, and waiting on your books to come in,watch instructional videos on YouTube (clay Hayes has some good ones). Get a simple tool kit together of a hatchet with a thin bit, good ferriers rasp, and a scraper. Make a tillering tree and a tillering gizmo. You should be ready to bend some wood before you know it with very little monetary investment

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 12:23:45 pm »
Also, read/get "The Bent Stick" by Paul Comstock, it has a very good beginners' layout , instruction and a ice section.  Be patient,  remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!  Take lots of pictures and have fun!  Welcome to PA!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 07:43:24 pm »
I live in the city with no forest  nearby But I have the tools to split staves and will try a board bow also are atlatls also discussed on this site ?

Offline Kidder

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 08:37:26 pm »
There are also a ton of really awesome videos available on the internet on bow building. But not all YouTube bowyers are created equal. I really found Clay Hayes’ and Weyin Olives’ (swiftwood bows) series on YouTube to be extremely helpful. Both have videos on first bows or board bows and are very good teachers. Good luck!

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 01:18:27 am »
A city with no trees nearby.....where do you live???

Offline Jacob1

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 05:13:44 am »
Well I do have trees nearby but I couldn’t find the owners to nearby woods I live in va beach

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 06:35:07 am »
If you get into the website for your county it should have a parcel viewer or GIS services page. It will list the property lines and owner of each piece of land. With that you can either stop by and ask in person or use the name/address to find a phone number. I find that most people I talk to see pretty cool when you are polite and willing to take no for an answer. Also, rattan will make a bow, you can use the search on this site and find people who have done it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 12:01:38 pm by BAfromPA »