Author Topic: Making Helmsman Spar Varnish Less Shiny?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline mmattockx

Making Helmsman Spar Varnish Less Shiny?
« on: August 25, 2020, 09:44:43 am »
As the title says, what do people use to take the gloss off of Helmsman Spar Varnish? As a related question, I seem to be getting fairly thick coats straight from the can. I am thinking of thinning some with turpentine to see if that gives me thinner coats. Any comments on that approach?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline DC

Re: Making Helmsman Spar Varnish Less Shiny?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 09:52:11 am »
A related question, how are you applying it? I've had trouble with varnish drying. I've never tried it on bows for that reason. I would thin it with something. Maybe use pumice or rottenstone, is it, to take the shine off.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 10:04:00 am »
A related question, how are you applying it? I've had trouble with varnish drying. I've never tried it on bows for that reason. I would thin it with something. Maybe use pumice or rottenstone, is it, to take the shine off.

With a fine bristled brush, as the instructions suggest. It does stay kind of gummy for a few days but eventually dries. Living in Alberta probably helps that some... I am going to thin some 3 parts varnish to 1 turpentine and try it on the bow I am currently finishing. If that doesn't work I may switch to tung oil for the next one. I do like the amber tint that the varnish gives to maple, though.

Any suggestions for how to use the pumice? I was thinking of trying some of the fine scotchbrite but it will probably leave too many scratches.

Mark

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 10:17:55 am »
I've never actually used pumice except maybe in high school and that was too long ago to remember. I still have the table though :D I've just heard guys on here using it. Maybe do a test piece with different thinnesses.(wd?)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 10:19:06 am »
I spray it out of the can and if I don't want it shiney I use the satin finish.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:02:10 pm »
Light buff with 0000 bronze wool or steel wool, pumice will also work, but lightly is the key.  Using the satin spray works better, as Mullet said.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Will B

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 12:05:48 pm »
I also use satin spray spar urethane with good results. Keep can 10”-12” away from bow. My bows are less glossy using this method.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 12:11:51 pm »
Weylin has a YouTube video of how to use truoil and he uses pumice on that to cut down shine. It's a good video, swiftwood bows is the name of the channel
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 01:44:59 pm »
Weylin has a YouTube video of how to use truoil and he uses pumice on that to cut down shine. It's a good video, swiftwood bows is the name of the channel

ha, came here to tell him about that method. Pumice powder mixed with cooking oil is what I use.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 02:50:09 pm »
I second the pumice slurry in vegetable oil.  It works really, really well.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 04:23:29 pm »
I spray it out of the can and if I don't want it shiney I use the satin finish.

I could only find the gloss in the can in Canada, no spray and no satin. I would have chose satin to start with if it had been an option when I was looking.

ha, came here to tell him about that method. Pumice powder mixed with cooking oil is what I use.

I will have a look at your video, this may be the answer for me.

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 04:41:27 pm »
I use spray satin poly over Tru-Oil to cut the shine. I bet it would work over spar varnish but I'd do a test first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 05:09:05 pm »
Dean Torges  method is a couple of coats of spar varnish for maximum protection, then several coats of satin over the top to take off the shine.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 06:39:58 pm »
Gloss is apparently a harder and more elastic finish  than satin.  You can easily buff out the gloss with any micro-abrasive.  Even toothpaste will work.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 07:54:22 pm »
I had no idea toothpaste was to versatile!
In the woods I find my peace