Author Topic: Finishing  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Sagebrush

Re: Finishing
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 09:52:30 pm »
I found a lot of variability in various tung oil products.  I gave up and switched to tru oil.  Watco tung oil is ok. Formsbys is better but the bottles dont seal well and its components separate if not used in a while. If in a hurry I go with wipe on poly.  I have thought about trying wax for additional protection.

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 11:12:52 pm »
I love the tru-oil when I have the time, I have put on some of the best finishes on some of my Banjo necks and a few gun stocks,, I try to let it dry but I always seem to start rubbing it out when its a still tacky. Then it takes a lot of elbow grease to rub it out, I use brown paper bag ,wax paper, leather, 0000 steel wool. Rub it hard heat it up under what ever material I grab,  I have put blasters on the plum of my hand more then once, plus I have stayed up all night before between coats to rub them out. But when finished it looks like glass but not a high gloss. More coats the better if you can hold up.

Lately on my bows if I use tru-oil I will let it tack up then rub it out with a little oil, it may be olive oil, linseed oil,lemon oil what ever is close by I also rub a cake of bees wax over the bow and the rub it hard till it heats up and rubs in, and to boot I may add some spruce or pine pitch bees wax mix and again rub the heck out of it.
 Boy this is making my arms hurt just talking about it PS I also will burnish the bow with a hardwood dowel,bone.glass bottle.

Take care , Chuck

Armstrong, BC

bownarra

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 02:35:41 am »
It's the thickness of the coat that I'm having trouble with. When you say wipe off the excess does that mean just enough so it won't(hopefully) run or do you wipe it off thoroughly?

Yes wipe it off throughly. I use a lint free cloth to apply. wipe off with a clean cloth. Too thick and it will take forever to dry and won't ever dry hard properly.
Just get pure tung oil and what I said will work very well :)
I would stay well clear of any mixes, they just don't cut the mustard :) Drying agents etc....my drying agent is patience, sunlight and air movement :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 03:11:09 am »
I use Danish Oil, wipe on, first coat dry in a few hours... overnight for subsequent coats. Then a beeswax polish.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 05:20:40 pm »
Not trying to advertise for any company but Real Milk Paint co has a good pure tung oil. They have 100% pure and a 50/50 mix. I like the 50/50 mix very well.
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"