Author Topic: Straightening a quick dried stave  (Read 996 times)

Offline Flyonline

Straightening a quick dried stave
« on: July 26, 2020, 07:18:07 pm »
I scored a couple of logs of what I worked out as Desert Ash (fraxinus angustifolia). It splits nice and clean and straight and looks good, so I want to do a quick dry on one of the staves and make a quick bow to see if it's worth my while harvesting etc. more log/staves. I've reduced one stave down to a rough flatbow size (~40mm x 20mm / 1.75"x 0.8") and have it drying on the bookcase next to the fire.

One limb tip needs a bit of a straighten, what's the best time to do it? If I clamp it, it will make it much more difficult to weigh it accurately, so I suspect a steam at some stage is the best but when, now? Once stable? At floor tiller?

So far it's lost 100grams in 3 days,

Thanks

Steve

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Straightening a quick dried stave
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 11:26:46 pm »
If you decide to clamp it, weigh your bow, then weigh the clamps before you put them the bow.  You should get a fairly accurate read that way(weigh?) >:D :BB (lol)!  Might try to work a trade for a stave!  Where are you?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 12:54:30 am »
Ash dries pretty quickly.
If its green, you can clamp it to a form as HD mentioned. Steam works best when the wood is still green.
If you let it dry properly  first, you are better off making any corrections with a heat gun.

Offline Flyonline

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 02:38:12 am »
If you decide to clamp it, weigh your bow, then weigh the clamps before you put them the bow.  You should get a fairly accurate read that way(weigh?) >:D :BB (lol)!  Might try to work a trade for a stave!  Where are you?
Hawkdancer

Did think of that, but it'll get complicated and if it fell on our 5yo daughter or through the window, my normally patient wife might become less patient  (lol)  (lol)

I'm in the land of Oz, so a stave swap is probably out of the question!

Ash dries pretty quickly.
If its green, you can clamp it to a form as HD mentioned. Steam works best when the wood is still green.
If you let it dry properly  first, you are better off making any corrections with a heat gun.

Roger that, I've got a splice to steam up so I'll do it at the same time if I get a chance.

Thanks gents