Author Topic: Osage question with regard to crack and growth around it  (Read 794 times)

Offline rhansen

Osage question with regard to crack and growth around it
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:24:55 am »
This is my first osage stave, but not my first build, and I have a question for you guys that have used osage before.  I have two cracks on the stave; #1 in the fade which goes through to the belly with punk in it (I've dug most of that out); #2 has a larger crack that goes through to the belly of the bow as well.  My plan is to fill the cracks on the bows back with super glue and then to fill the belly side with epoxy mixed with sawdust.  The questions that I have are. Is this a good plan and should I leave the cracks on the back side proud like I have them or can I take them down to the ring that I have chased. Pictures are included

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage question with regard to crack and growth around it
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 03:27:58 pm »
Those aren't cracks but knots. Treat them like any other knot. Be sure the back growth ring is not violated as it goes into the knot on the back. Get rid of the punky wood inside the knots but don't fill the voids. It's not necessary. You've left extra wood around both knots so just take it easy while you tiller. You might leave the areas near the knots a little stiff as you tiller each limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 04:11:17 pm »
    Take the knots down to the ring you chased on the back, carefully...
                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline rhansen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 04:25:50 pm »
Thank you guys that helps, and I'll follow your advise!
I really appreciate your knowledge and expertise!!
Rick