Author Topic: Dry heat vs. Heat gun using oil ?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Dry heat vs. Heat gun using oil ?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 08:34:54 am »
I am of Greek ancestry so I use olive oil. :)
Just kidding. I use bacon grease because  it's cheap.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 09:52:07 am »
Heat corrections can easily be made without scorching the wood, without oil. If the wood changes color at all, the gun's too close and/or moving too slow.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 10:07:51 am »
ok if your not using  a gun, and using fire or coals,, I think the oil does reduce scorching,, but if you have a gun,, maybe its not an issue at all,,

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 10:17:25 am »
Due to city code fire or coals is not an option.  :) Neighbors would turn me in.

Paulsemp, do you use it for corrections/bending, or just tempering?

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 10:55:31 am »
Can you use a drying oil, like linseed? Maybe put a little finish on while heat treating?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 11:41:48 am »
I have always used oil for bending and correcting but no oil for tempering (heat treating).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 03:12:05 pm »
I use oil/beezwax in my last heat treat  to help keep moister out and makes a nice finish... i dont believe it changes the depth of the heat treat if your using oil or not using oil. As for water/oil penetrating into wood.... all the different kinds of wood is different but in forestry school you learn that there are 3 kinds of wood that will hold water and not seep into the wood, white oak, Osage orange, and locust ( i probly forgot some) and i dont feel oil goes very deep on those woods. Now hickory it seems to seep quite deep. You can tell by heating oil into a peice of wood then carving down and heating the wood and the oil will seep out of the wood after carving maybe 1/4" or so.... long ramble   (lol)

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2020, 05:24:19 pm »
When heating osage I used to occasionally get tiny cracks on the back. Using oil stopped this from happening.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2020, 06:02:39 pm »
Sealing the back with shellac will prevent the checks in the back. It's easy enough to remove later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Flyonline

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 03:49:10 am »
With proper prep, I've never had problems adding finish to a bow I've used oil and heat on, not just a finish, not rawhide and other soft backings and not sinew backing.

:OK

Figured as much as lots of people do it, but wondered if there was another step in there to remove the oil etc. that was so obvious that it was never mentioned.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 08:00:58 am »
I wash the back of the bow with Dawn dish soap and rinse with boiling water. I also wash the backing material with Dawn and rinse with warm water. This not only cleans the grease used when heating, finger prints and any residual oil in the wood and backing material off but preps the surfaces for the water based glues I use, ie. hide glue and TBIII.