Author Topic: Women's bow dimensions  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Loope

Women's bow dimensions
« on: July 12, 2020, 03:17:01 pm »
I am wanting to make a surprise bow for a friend of my wife, but don't really know what dimensions/poundage to go for.  Do you guys have "generic woman's bow specs" you use?  I know that she is an avid compound shooter/hunter for what that is worth.  She elk hunts with an Elite Ritual.  I tried to look it up, and there are multiple configurations, but from what I could find, it seemed like minimum poundage available was 40#

Offline mmattockx

Re: Women's bow dimensions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 04:33:04 pm »
She elk hunts with an Elite Ritual.  I tried to look it up, and there are multiple configurations, but from what I could find, it seemed like minimum poundage available was 40#

That poundage means little without knowing the let off at full draw. Lot of compounds these days drop 80+% of the draw weight so she might only be holding 8-12lb once drawn. How tall is she? If it was me I would shoot for 25-28lb @ 26" without knowing any more than you have shared. If you have her draw length then 25-28lb at that draw length would be my target.

Mark

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 05:03:15 pm »
Agree 25-28lbs would probably be a safe comfortable range with the info you provided.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:10:05 pm »
Make a bow according to the persons draw length and intended draw weight. It doesn't matter if they are men, women, or children, make a bow for that person.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 05:42:51 pm »
Hamish we are close to the same thinking. If you can get her draw length 1” of limb for every inch of draw doubled. Plus the stiff handle length. If she is elk hunting with any bow that will kill a elk she can probably handle a 37-40# selfbow. The problem is she shooting a faster bow and that speed will not happen in the selfbow. Not what she is used to shooting. Unless she is devoted to going trad it probably will never happen unfortunately. Good luck with your build and her receiving the trad challenge. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 06:57:34 pm »
i agree with 25ish at 26ish,,

Offline Loope

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 07:17:36 pm »
Thanks,

Unfortunately I don't know her draw length or poundage, and don't have a way to get it without spoiling the surprise...

My wife draws 24" traditional, and her friend is a little bit taller.  Based on the replies, I am thinking maybe at least build the bow for 26", and if she draws it less than that then it would be fine.  I do not expect that she would want to hunt with it, so I would not target a "hunting weight" bow.  That can start a whole discussion on its own.

I liked through my bow wood and the blanks I have in process, and settled on a nice osage blank that it ready for floor tiller.  It is a stiff handle blank, with 4" handle and 2" faces, and currently has 29 inch limbs from fade to tips.  So I would cut it down in length, and need to re-profile it for a lighter poundage.  So if I were to go for about 30# @ 26", any suggestions on limb width as a starting point?  I think I would cut the limbs down to about 27".

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 08:07:34 pm »
For my women, I've made bows as tall as they are, about an inch wide, bend in the handle, do not narrow the handle, and 25# or so Kath their draw length. As a guide, my oldest daughter is 5'4" and has a draw length of 22".
The best thing to do is have it partially done at 30-35# and see of she can draw it. Then scrape off wood as needed.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 09:22:19 am »
The best thing to do is have it partially done at 30-35# and see of she can draw it.

+1
she has to be comfortable shooting the bow but it is better if she do not get the impression it's a toy

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 12:09:40 am »
Your wife could discretely find out her draw length, I think, especially if they shoot together!  I would go for the legal draw weight in your state, that way if she wants to go trad, she's covered, or you get to make another bow (lol) :BB!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 11:42:41 pm »
If she's an average woman, I might actually say low 30s.

Offline Hans H

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »
Some Time I come in Lower draw weight for me, than I offen say: this bow is for my wife  (lol)
She don't shoot often but 30 to 35# Don't make a Problem
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 12:19:58 pm »
Once in a while I give a bunch of bows to the SCA. The requests from women are usually in the 35@28 range. If that helps at all.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 02:57:17 pm »
I still stand by my 25#@26 inches,, if she wants to draw it to 28,, it will be close to 30,,
my wife always liked the bow on the lighter side,, she didnt have to pull alot of weight to beat me,,
and she was stout for her size,,
I think alot of bows in the past were made to what the wood would give, and the archer adjust to that,, or made to make the best bow from given stave,, then the archer adjusted,,,Im just guessing,,on that
but the fiberglass bows made all to 28 inch draw is a good example,, the archer just adjust to the bow...Im not saying that is the best way,, but in this case with the lack of info,, a middle of road draw and weight,, will work,,

Offline Loope

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 05:49:09 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys.  I am going to start modifying my blank tonight, take some width off and shorten the limbs a bit, then ready to start floor tiller.

I am going to start out for a little higher poundage... because I always seem to end up 5 or 6 pounds below my initial target :)