Author Topic: Advice on hickory stave  (Read 2410 times)

Offline NewBowyer

Advice on hickory stave
« on: June 14, 2020, 03:36:25 pm »
Luck smiled at me & I was gifted today with this old hickory stave. Looking for advice on how to handle the back and the layout/shaping. I assume all the cambium has to come off because of the (bug or worm?) holes? Then take it down to the first ring that shows no signs of intrusion? Does it need to be backed with rawhide, sinew, a harder wood...? It’s the first one I’m working that’s actually meant to be a bow; the others are just small trees I’ve cut myself. So I’m hoping to get it close to “right.”  :)

Offline NewBowyer

Re: Advice on hickory stave
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 03:38:36 pm »
Couple more pics. It’s 68.5” ttt BTW.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 03:46:04 pm »
I have no experience with Hickory but if you have a growth ring without damages then you wont need backing. Hickory itself is often used as one

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 04:11:31 pm »
You better remove the bark and see where the worm holes go first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:58:13 pm »
Makes sense. I’ll start shaving & see what I find.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 05:39:20 pm »
Be careful not to get below the cambium. Usually hickory under the bark undulates and it's easy to take the tops of the ridges. Don't worry about a little cambium left in the valleys.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 07:12:46 am »
Looks like wood wasp larva holes, if so they may not go too deep. You can clean up the back to get below them, hickory is fairly tolerant of a grain violation on the back, especially if it is tight ring.

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 09:59:17 am »
nasty worms... best get bark off and see the damage before anymore time is invested... gut

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 12:14:04 pm »
Yes, bark & cambium removal will be step 1 for sure. Appreciate all the input as I’ve never worked or even cut any hickory before.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:20 pm »
Well I've only just started but it's buggier and/or wormier than I'd hoped. Looks like I'll learn how to chase a ring!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:23:11 pm by NewBowyer »

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 03:17:01 pm »
Then with just a little work I'm seeing this, so there might be hope? IF I can find one ring throughout.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 04:25:07 pm »
Any hope of finding one ring throughout with this grain? Obviously had to go well past the cambium & into the wood to get to a place where there were no more tunnels or indentations.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 05:07:46 pm »
Like Eric said hickory is pretty tolerant of grain violations. Once you get the back prepped add a cloth or rawhide backing for insurance.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 06:43:00 pm »
When should the backing go on- after floor tillering, near final tillering, as soon as I've finished overall shaping...?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 09:01:38 pm »
I'd do it early on to help keep any possible splinters down. Also keep the edges rounded as you tiller the bow. Sharp edges splinter easier.