Author Topic: Which ring to rule them all?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Vgo750

Which ring to rule them all?
« on: June 14, 2020, 12:22:45 am »
I have been reading quite a bit about ring thickness and am not sure about which ring to choose for this stave.  Looking to make a short wide bendy handle so will likely end up with thin limbs.  The deepest ring I have marked will give me plenty thick rings but less room on the belly to work with...but still enough...but I’ll obviously have to dig way down to get to it.  No big deal just more effort.  The next ring up that I marked will give me plenty of thickness to chase a good ring but man those followings rings are just paper thin and I think it’s a very poor ratio.  What which ring would y’all choose?
Edit.  I guess to be honest, would any of the rings be fine so long as I can get a clean ring.  I have put tons of thought into the rings being too thin and too poor ratio but maybe I’m just wrong there?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:57:58 am by Vgo750 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Which ring to rule them all?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 06:30:39 am »
I'd take off the first couple of thin rings, clean up that first thicker ring near the top in the first pic and see what you have. I generally go to the first good ring when chasing a ring. No need to go all the way to the larger ones.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 06:34:33 am »
If you have the room go down to the lower thick one :)
However they will all work as a duarable back as long as you don't touch them when chasing/exposing :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 07:16:47 am »
It has been my experience that the big fat rings make a mushy bow, I would stick to the first one you have marked, the second one if you mess up on the first one.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:47:00 am »
It has been my experience that the big fat rings make a mushy bow, I would stick to the first one you have marked, the second one if you mess up on the first one.

And one of the fat ones if you mess up the first two ;D ;D

Offline gifford

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 01:09:00 pm »
I'm pretty much a 'try the first one, see how it goes...' type of bow makin' luddite. You have several available.

BTW, great title for your thread with LOTR reference.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 09:23:04 pm »
Great practicing one I say! Just keep chasing a a ring and when you mess up, just go Down untill you chased a ring well
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 09:53:06 pm »
Ok thanks dudes.  I chased down another ring and its clean.  I’m ok at chasing rings I just froze myself by reading a bunch about too thin a rings and early / late ratio.  This will be my shortest bow attempt and I want to hunt it this year so I’m wall worked up about this one lol.  Suuuuuuper clean stave.  Probably cleanest Osage stave I’ve ever had.  If it makes it will be great in the ground blind for deer and stalkin for pigs.