Author Topic: Another slow-mo GIFF  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Tommy D

Another slow-mo GIFF
« on: June 12, 2020, 03:01:07 pm »
This is a 28lb at 24 inch bamboo backed Ipe that I shortened when it developed a chrysal near one of the fades. I learnt a lot getting it to this stage... mostly from good advice on this forum. It’s 56 inches now NTN .... handle bends slightly and is made of layers of thin tapers “like growth rings”. Anyways ... I made it asymmetrical because of how I was splicing the limbs. The Mama likes shooting it. Took a slowmo of it and turned it into a GIFF so I can post it here!

It amazes me the motions a bows limbs go through. Would love to see a perfectly tillered bow in slow mo and see the difference...

Anyways ... bit of fun ...

Offline NewBowyer

Re: Another slow-mo GIFF
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 03:09:02 pm »
I love watching those and yes it is remarkable what actually happens to the limbs, string and arrow shaft throughout the shot. Might be interesting to compare and see what changes with, for example, string silencers or none, heavier or lighter shaft or point, etc.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 03:14:44 pm »
It has those pretty awful rubber finger protectors so she can shoot without a glove/ tab. It always hits my wrist. May take them off and see how that changes things. I heard somewhere that where the arrow pass is on a Japanese Yumi is sort of in the sweet spot with regards to these harmonics.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 04:17:51 pm »
It must be crazy to tiller one of those Yumi kyudo bows- the upper limb must be ~2x the length of the lower! I was gifted one but haven’t gotten into it yet- focusing on my elk hunting bow now that we’re about 90 days from that hunt. (No it’s not primitive- a modern glass recurve.)

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 04:44:47 pm »
Those elk hunts look damn fun. Especially calling them. Was listening to a great pod cast with the guy from Grizzly Stick arrows about how guys started taking frontal shots on elk because they were getting so much penetration. I have been nothing but amazed by what following Ashby’s principles do to improve arrow penetration. We all tend to sit around chasing faster bows that in reality make no difference to penetration and totally neglect what we could be doing to our arrows.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 05:30:11 pm »
Has that bow taken some set? I would like to see another with the rubber things off. It looks to me like the string is quite slack or the rubber things weigh more than I think or a combo of the two.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 05:07:28 am »
Here you go DC - 600 grain arrow and took the rubber off ...

It’s a straight bow - maybe an inch of string follow. It was a R/D profile before being shortened - maybe that has caused some set. Shoots much nicer without the rubbers. Think she could still bend a little more mid limb out?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:19:23 am by Tommy D »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 06:40:00 am »
judging from the wobbling the rubber protector put alot of stress in the bow

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 07:50:11 am »
Yeah - all that weight on the string. Will do another one when I put string silencers on!!

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 09:22:39 am »
Very cool, what was the arrow weight in the first one? Do you have a way of weighing the rubber things?

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 08:19:22 am »
So the rubber things are 39 grains and the lighter arrows are 370 grains.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 08:38:27 am »
I think it's the heavy arrow that's sucking up all the excess vibration, as  we would expect.
  The rubber likely wasn't helping but  it would be more likely to cause string slap than limb wobbling.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 10:35:59 am »
Another one with just the light arrow please ;D ;D

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 01:43:56 pm »
Ok tomorrow when the baby’s not asleep!

You are lucky DC because I have one of those left!

I had a bit of a Natural disaster today - went to shoot at the local archery range - shot 11 of my 12 arrows and a gust of wind dumped the target - on them!

Man, I am glad I have a sense of humour! Must have been thinking bad thoughts about someone or something. Won’t ever shoot at one of those targets without tying it down again!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 03:06:03 pm »
Sorry about that! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!