Author Topic: Fades  (Read 3697 times)

Offline willie

Re: Fades
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 12:59:21 pm »
I'm going to have to fiddle a bit to get a decent glue line where the Boo, the belly and the PL meet. It would be easy if I didn't have to worry about the thickness of the Yew belly. I have to make it all blend by feathering the PL.

Seem you have the area of most concern still left to do. Guessing walnut is fine where it is.

is the link to the youtube video a hint about where the limbs are going?

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 01:34:14 pm »
I don't know how that YouTube link got there. It's fixed now ;D ;D

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 01:55:52 pm »
 Black Walnut is considered a bit weak and light for the stresses on a riser.   On the other hand this is a lighter weight bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 10:24:46 am »
Here's where I got to. As soon as I finished the glue up I noticed that I had too much(18°) deflex. I'm not sure how that happened. I'll have to take a close look at my riser pattern. Anyway I continued on. It took about an inch of set and ended up with no reflex to speak of. I shot it on the machine and got 170fps at 25" draw. I decided to ty and take some of the deflex out so I'm going to cut out the area marked in tape and bend the boo and the powerlam to get 4+" of reflex. I will probably only shoot it on the machine so I'm not too concerned about safety. I'll keep an eye on the set and maybe drop to 35#.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 06:59:57 am »
Walnut is a excellent core wood and ok in a riser up to about 45#. My wife has a glass recurve that is a fantastic bow . Won several state championships with it. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline HH~

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 07:44:34 am »
Problem with Black Walnut is when you glue it up to a harder wood and its not completely covered or lamed over.
Wood is very open grained and very soft. If theres any flexing stress over time the walnut unsupported will give up the ghost.

I have BW pig bow 56” glass and put in maple triangle fades even with glass. To risky to leave it that this even under glass!

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 03:21:06 pm »
197,196,195,194   >:( >:( :( :(

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 05:54:33 pm »
I decided it was no good to me like that so I thought I would try a Del's patch. After a bit of rasping I could see that this was a good decision. It's amazing that you can cut something 3/8" thick and manage to capture something like this right in the middle so it doesn't look too bad from either side. It never occurred to me that they were joined. I rasped it down almost to the boo on this side and just to the corner on the far side. Then I worked up a patch on the belt sander. I test fit it using clamps and it looks like a good fit. Glued it up with epoxy and we'll see in the morning.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 05:55:41 pm »
More

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 12:07:40 pm »
And here it is finished. It ain't pretty but it works. It was the best match for colour and grain that I could find. It still shoots in the mid 190's. I guess I'll have to shoot it a bunch to see if if will last. Haven't shot for a while. This one is sure s dog's breakfast. ;D ;D

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 03:19:30 pm »
I’ve loved this thread. Learnt a lot from it. That bow has a lot of character and that fact it still shoots at all is testament to your skills.

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 04:35:51 pm »
Thanks Tommy :D It's not the kind of character that I like in bows but once something starts to go west it's a good exercise to chase it to the end. You have to learn something.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 06:12:24 pm »
And here it is finished. It ain't pretty but it works. It was the best match for colour and grain that I could find. It still shoots in the mid 190's.

You might be the only one who complains about a rescued bow that had nearly everything go wrong and still shoots in the mid 190's @ 10gpp. I hope it lasts for years and gives you lots of enjoyment. If you can't stand the sight of it, send it my way and I will give it a good home.  ;)

FWIW, my 'artistic' sense likes contrast, so I wouldn't have worried at all about matching colour and grain for the patch. It adds visual interest and character to a bow with a great story. Of course, as an engineer no one has ever accused me of having any artistic ability at all...

but once something starts to go west it's a good exercise to chase it to the end. You have to learn something.

It is always worthwhile to do that as an educational experience.

Mark

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 09:38:29 pm »
Thanks Mark, I'm sure there a lot of guys could reach those speeds if they built a shooting machine. Made a world of difference.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 10:25:29 pm »
Thanks Mark, I'm sure there a lot of guys could reach those speeds if they built a shooting machine. Made a world of difference.

What do you think it would do if you finger released?

Mark