Author Topic: Dogbane?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Dogbane?
« on: June 04, 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
Is this dogbane? I have quite a patch of whatever  it is. Have any of you used  it to make a bow string?
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dogbane?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 05:11:59 pm »
Looks like milkweed. Break a leaf and see if white sap oozes. Milkweed has good fibers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:18:31 pm »
I did break it. No white sap.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 05:41:13 pm »
Dogbane oozes white sap as well.  The flowers on dogbane are like miniature tulips
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:47:02 pm »
Deffinatly Dogbane ... makes great cordage, ive used it for bow drill fires for tinder and for the bow cordage... ive read it was used for bows strings and i think they mention it being used as backing in one of TBB.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:20 pm »
OK. Now I have to learn how to make cordage again. Did some 50 years ago, but won't recall much. I have the TBB series, so should have information.

Thanks all.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline wstanley

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 12:54:09 pm »
I wait until the plant dies then I pick it. Not sure how it does if you pick it and then dry it? The skin and fibers should be to the point where they want to fall off on their own.

I make lots of cordage with dogbane, here's my method:

Split the shoot equally in half with a knife. Don't pound with a stone to remove woody material - you will break the fibers. After you split it break off the woody material in 1'' increments and separate the fibers and skin - this should come off easily. Once both halves are done, match the thinner end with the other thicker end so you end up with a length of fibers with equal thickness. At this point twist back and forth with hands a few times to remove the skin. You don't have to get all the skin off, its fine to leave some on. Just try and get the majority. Then give the processed dogbane a few twists in one direction and its ready for twisting into cordage - look up Flemish twist method if you need at this point. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, I just like to talk/make cordage!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 02:52:01 pm »
Thanks wstanley. At this point, more descriptions are a  good thing. Matching the halves for uniformity was new to me and the rest was helpful  too.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 03:10:11 pm »
I use the same method as wstanley... also if you wet the fibers after you process them and as your twisting them it makes the fibers stick together better, like waxing b50 before twisting it to shoestring.... also dont let them stand too long after the plants die, just after they are dry is good. The fibers will start to rot...

-Fox

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 04:17:23 pm »
Doesn't really look like the Dogbane we have up here
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline wstanley

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 05:11:21 pm »
Its is my understanding that dogbane has a white sap too when you break the stem of the leaf. So if its not putting that off perhaps it may not be. I never even bother with it when its green so I cant really make a sure determination from the picture.

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 05:21:36 pm »
The leaves look just like what i have here... but i could be wrong. You could always cut a peace peel a bit of fiber off and see if its strong, and if makes good cordage does it matter? :).... also its quite poisenos so dont be chewi'n on it!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 05:54:05 pm »
I did peel a leaf stem and it did strip a long tough string.

I also took a close-up and Google Lens quickly brought up images it labeled Indian hemp, so I'll be visiting that patch this fall.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 06:35:44 pm by Jim Davis »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine