Author Topic: Working on another leaver bow Laubin inspired !  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Working on another leaver bow Laubin inspired !
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 04:58:05 am »
 Well will see how far it will go play it by ear there are some guys on other sights that are streching short handled osage/sinew bows some crazy draw lengths to the point of string almost coming off but like was said with set it might take it but performance wise nobody publishes , Laubin actualy said that osage horn comment the funny thing is he made composite horn bows also ,but no way all though I suspect quality osage will strech farther then average osage ,well like said get this one to 28" & go from there , one of the problems I have found with these natural bows is the quality of the wood for comparison is not always the same & osage really varies in quality , stave to stave I have atleast 40 osage staves hanging in the shop but none as good as this one but you really never know tell the rubbers on the road ! Im not saying its doable with this stave Im just saying this one might strech a bit more then average !
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:16:45 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 07:31:35 am »
There have been a bunch of these short bow long draw bows made around here from some very talented bowyers over the years here is one example but many in the archives  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,52218.0.html

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 06:12:25 pm »
Stick,
           Looking forward to your success with this sinewed lever shorty...
                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 01:23:24 am »
Interesting project - I will follow!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 11:54:14 am »
Btw, what is the full title of Laubin's book?  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 12:05:22 pm »
American Indian Archery.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 01:17:13 pm »
Also different articles by him on the web to !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 03:51:23 pm »
Really no mystery to the Miller design it pretty much a short static leaver bow he did usualy pin knock his bow and didnt reverse string for sinew but he made a lot of the design !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 10:45:33 pm »
I think with sinew....and perfect tiller..you can push the draw..maybe won't last as long as a more conservative design...but then it might,..pope over drew museum bows that were pretty old...it will be fun to see what it does...that's why I do it,,,,,have fun...
Just test it all the way out,,,,you'll know the sweet spot for next time
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:48:40 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 10:49:31 pm »
I think u can do it )P(

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 12:57:02 am »
Lots of discussion about how far it can be drawn, but doesn't that depend on the sinew to wood proportions? more sinew=more draw length possible?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 06:59:24 am »
  Yes, Willie it is important to get a good layer or layers of even sinew down...Stick knows how to lay sinew for sure and that will be the key...Even a perfect stave like he has here will benefit...Sinew weight doesn't really come into play here with this design as a deterrent...It will mostly be applied to the working area just above the handle...The light levers will slam home quickly...The project he posted the link to between Rich and myself created the fasted bow I have ever shot...I still have that bow and it still shoots awesome arrow speeds...I'm not about speed but it is still a producer after hundreds of shots...
                                                                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline smoke

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 07:12:45 am »
I was thinking about giving this a try only last weekend - so I will certainly follow this.  Glad you are giving it a go! 

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 07:27:44 am »
There seems to be some confusion about the tip shape of these bows.  They are not straight levers but rather very sharp static recurves.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 11:16:36 am »
I mentioned in the OP sinew all though I think it was Simson posted a 57" non sinew osage bow a while back with a long draw , my bow is not going to be a Laubin replicate but inspired by his design, I am adding hooks but not as aggressive as his & reverse stringing , I don't over think the design just build it and apply common sense as I go !