Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 44372 times)

Offline HH~

Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2020, 07:18:58 pm »
Bet the deer will eat those beans Eric!

Looks like cudzoo. Deer love the mew end growth of that stuff.

Did not put beans in this year. Usually do bush beans. I did do some White Armenian cucumbers. Interesting cuke! Almost all meat , little seeds, hard white flesh. Long to mature and mild flavor.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2020, 06:47:11 am »
I have an electric fence to keep the munchers out.

The Anasazi beans can be eaten green like regular green beans or allowed to dry. There are not enough beans on that trellis in the picture to make a meal. I canned 41 pints of Ky wonder pole beans off the same sized trellis this year.

Offline HH~

« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2020, 07:49:40 am »
Thats alot of beans. Your pressure canning those and they are not pickled correct?

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2020, 07:18:24 am »
Pressure canned, laying in a stock for when the stuff hits the fan and they stop interstate commerce. I have always been an ant not a grasshopper.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2020, 01:25:02 pm »
Well just planted some more pole beans today along with two rows of carrots and a row of Dragon tail radishes. The sweet potatoes, grapes and pineapple are doing real good. I'm waiting for the stores to put some sets of collard greens, Clemsom Okra and broccali on the shelf then I'll be set for the fall and Winter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HH~

« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2020, 07:49:56 pm »
9 Qts of Picante today. Just getting into tomatoe canning now. Be on this for 3 weeks prolly as they come in.

Winter squash is all up. Put a row of red potatoes a week or so ago.

Great year for the China Survival Garden.

I had to have an Obama garden for 8yrs to survive in that depression. Was good training for this Viral Season.

Good hunt buddy of mine in his early 60s got the Wuhan! Be talking with him every nite. He in rough shape. Went outside today for 50yd walk. Said it fell like he was switchbacking a pass at 13000ft with a rag stuffed down his throat. I will say a pray for him and his family tonite. Have not got a call as of yet!

Shawn
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:23:41 am by HedgeHunter »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2020, 07:57:43 pm »
Glad your garden's doing well, Shawn.  Sorry to hear about your friend.  Hope he recovers OK.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2020, 06:37:45 pm »
Yes

Tomatoes are coming in purty good now. Did 5-6qts of picante with fresh cilantro and jalapeño today.
Think thats second picante canning.

Elk camp would not be the same without red or green picante on my Huevos Rancheros under the lantern in early mornings.

Shawn

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2020, 07:16:03 am »
I do a lot of canning and drying, over time I have amassed more and more "stuff" and didn't want to clutter my kitchen cabinets with all of it. I found a commercial shelving unit on the Facebook Market Place that is sturdy, heavy, not bad looking and will fill the bill to hold my collection out of the way in a spare bedroom until I need it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2020, 07:21:54 am »
My squash plants have dried up for the most part but I have one or two plants that produce a squash every few days. Yesterday I fried squash, green tomatoes and okra from the garden.

I tried an experiment with some poke salat that I froze that came out really well. I cooked the poke down with butter, onions, garlic, chicken stock and dried chanterells. It was pretty amazing, my new favorite way to cook poke weed.

I rounded out the meal with peaches and cream corn from the garden and a BBQ chicken leg quarter. The local Foodland market had them on sale for 39 cents a pound in 10# bags. This was too god a deal to pass up  so I ended up with 30# in the freezer. I broke the bags down into 5# vacuum sealed bags which are just right to cover my Webber grill for a mass cooking.

I always skin my chicken to get rid of 60% of the calories before I package it for later. I threw the skin (lots of skin) out in the field next to my garden for a sky burial. Within 30 minutes there were buzzards on the pile cleaning it up, I don't know how they find stuff so quickly.

I leave deer gut piles in the same place, they are gone in an hour or so.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:36:54 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2020, 07:27:14 am »
I'm going to be harvesting oats and buckwheat this week.  I have baby pumpkins, tomatoes, and tomatillos forming.  Hopefully they'll amount to something before the frost.  I have the best corn patch I've ever had, and the carrots and beets are about ready to pull.  We've been eating fresh butterhead and red sails lettuce until our skin's about to turn green.

Ain't life grand!  Thanks for sharing your gardens, gents.  It's been fun keeping up on what everybody's up to.
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2020, 07:49:02 am »
Looks gud fellas.

built a full outdoor natural gas kitchen outside. Needless to say i do lots canning, cooking, butchering, BBQing. When it gets hot i take 10 steps and into the deep end. Then, back on the fire.

Garden hunter gather life is gud.

Shawn

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2020, 11:26:49 am »
We got some tomatoes formed and beans up in the late garden, plan to put tomato cage trellises up for the Anasazi beans to climb, have one zucchini going I hope!  Found the at the big blue box sore of all places!  Soaked the beans before I planted, and hope we beat the frost!  Will have plastic covers on hand just in case.  The planting "zone" is all repurposed tubs from the local feed lot that their minerals come in.  Hope to have tomatoes soon!  Got to improve the watering system, too, or use lower pressure!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2020, 03:37:11 pm »
We had extremely fresh zucchini (with cheese) and sauteed bets for lunch today.  Both dishes were eaten by two pre-teen girls with no complaints.  Success!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2020, 12:00:01 pm »
Way to go, WB!  The key is will they eat it again!  We like the zucchini sautéed in butter, along with yellow squash and tomatoes! YUM!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry