Author Topic: Fire hardening bows  (Read 4636 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Fire hardening bows
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 10:37:02 pm »
thanks Sleek,,
and thats a cool,, heating gizzmo,,thanks posting Willie

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 11:16:21 pm »
Amazing what a photo can do

I almost forgot, that ugly can on the burner to the right goes inside the pot to diffuse the heat some.

is there a way to continue writing text in a post, after a pic has been attached?

Online sleek

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2020, 03:46:11 am »
Amazing what a photo can do

I almost forgot, that ugly can on the burner to the right goes inside the pot to diffuse the heat some.

is there a way to continue writing text in a post, after a pic has been attached?

There is a button on each post you make that says "Modify"..Click it and you are in business. Its in the upper right hand corner of your post, where it says , " quote modify delete".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:41:20 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2020, 06:24:29 am »
Heat is heat no matter what the source IMO.Pateince is patience doing it right during the process along with it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Online sleek

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2020, 07:13:07 am »
Heat is heat no matter what the source IMO.Pateince is patience doing it right during the process along with it.

Yeah, but I think k Willie came up with an idea thats pretty darn noteworthy and should be published in PA
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 07:49:56 am »
I've treated bows over coals several times over the years as well.  I've not seen any evidence that it does anything better than a good heat-treating with a heat gun.  It does give a more uniform colour on the belly though
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 10:12:03 am »
yes but you  :)can cook a hot dog when your done with the bow,, there are advantages to the coals,,

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 10:19:27 am »
That is a slick idea Willie but you can't see what's happening. I would be constantly checking the colour. If you turned the end burners on low you could pre and post heat ;D ;D Did you have any trouble getting an even colour?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 10:26:37 am »

Yeah, but I think k Willie came up with an idea thats pretty darn noteworthy and should be published in PA
I straighten arrow shafts easily and very well with a mantle lamp.It'll light a cigarette in about 10 seconds.Holding it farther way slows the
heating and extends the length of area heated.Slick and quick.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:30:06 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 10:30:08 am »
I've used a coal oil lamp like that. It does work well. And you don't need no lectricity :D

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 01:37:34 pm »
That is a slick idea Willie but you can't see what's happening. I would be constantly checking the colour. If you turned the end burners on low you could pre and post heat ;D ;D
I keep it moving in a sawing motion and  twisting motion to peek at the color. Thanks for the preheating idea.

Did you have any trouble getting an even colour?

haven't used it on a bow yet, in fact I finished widening the slot a few minutes before I posted the pic.

Offline willie

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 01:51:20 pm »

I can edit a post OK. My problem is I cannot see an attached photo in the editor, so any text I write usually appears before the attached photo in the thread. there must be a way to write something under the photo, as I have seen other threads with multiple photos with text in between.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 02:32:08 pm »
Probably spend the $30 on one of those silicone heating pads

this worked well with arrows and darts so I widened the slot for my next bow.
I can see how that would do a nice even job.Have to keep checking though.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 02:56:08 pm »

I can edit a post OK. My problem is I cannot see an attached photo in the editor, so any text I write usually appears before the attached photo in the thread. there must be a way to write something under the photo, as I have seen other threads with multiple photos with text in between.

I haven't been able to get around that either. Writing on top, pics on the bottom. I think the guys that write in between pictures are using a picture hosting site. They type in whatever magic they need and the picture goes right there. Then they can continue writing. I may be wrong, I'm real good at that :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 03:01:13 pm »
If you use a photo hosting site like Imgur then you can add text anywhere you want, between pics or after
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com