Author Topic: Brand new  (Read 825 times)

Offline Sellswordwolf

Brand new
« on: April 23, 2020, 11:50:24 am »
Greetings and salutations,
 I'm new to Bow building.  It's something I wanted to get into but never had the opportunity to try. I lucked out running into a seasoned bowyer. who guided me to this forum. (bushboy)
  I was wondering if there are any tips you would give to someone who's just getting into this. I found a pdf of the traditional bowyer bible. I read that on my down time but I'd appreciate any helpful pointer for other useful literature/ videos to read to help with crafting.
  What kind of tools I should procure, where I can go to purchase Staves online( ( I live in Canada and although making my own staves is an option time is alwasy a factor for this project)
. I found one site called raven beak but havnt heard back from them yet. I'm currently going through an apprenticeship so my money and time are limited.
  This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'd like to take full advangtage of it.  Bushboy knows his stuff and i dont wanna bog him down asking mundade questions lol .I guess im trying to show initiative and jut wanna learn asa much as I can.
 Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. :)

Offline DC

Re: Brand new
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 12:07:30 pm »
I would highly recommend Ravenbeak. Jamie is a great bowyer. They are probably closed because of Covid. Are you close to the coast?

Offline Sellswordwolf

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 12:42:55 pm »
I'm located in Northern Manitoba, close to the Hudson Bay.  Makes sense RavenBeak would be closed down due to the pandemic. Not much available locally, but I've just started sniffing around for potential stave sources.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:49:53 pm »
Check my site.
Welcome to PA!
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 06:01:01 pm »
If you do a search on this site for "starting out" you will find dozens and dozens of guys asked the same questions, especially about tools.