Author Topic: Best pen for writing on bows?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Flntknp17

Best pen for writing on bows?
« on: April 19, 2020, 09:31:05 am »
All,

I am in search of the best writing utensil for marking information on the bows I make.  I haven't really been happy with the small sharpie I have been using.  I typically use tung oil or tru oil finish.

Thanks

Matt

Offline Aaron Brill

Re: Best pen for writing on bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 09:50:25 am »
I haven't had the pleasure of marking a bow yet, but I use a fine nib pen with black or white india ink on some of my other woodworking and hunting related projects. I haven't had any trouble with the ink not being compatible with tung oil, polyurethane, or lacquer. It's best to seal the wood with a coat or 2 of finish before marking though, otherwise the ink will bleed into the wood grain.

Aaron

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 10:00:10 am »
That's what I was thinking.....I have three coats of tru oil on the bows I want to mark.  I was hoping to mark them now and then apply a final coat over the marked areas.  I've had terrible trouble lately with the ink not "sticking" and rubbing off easily.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 10:25:44 am »
India ink is what I've started using because it doesn't fade in sunlight or over time. I use either a store bought nib type pen or make a quill pen to write with. If you use a sharper, either fine point or the larger points be sure it is the "permanent", industrial type with red lettering on the pen. I don't know of any marker that does well over oil finishes, not even Tru-Oil which I use. After a few coats of Tru-Oil have dried I spray satin poly on the area to be marked, let it dry and write there with India ink. Then I add a few more coats of Tru-Oil over that to seal it. There are also gold and silver permanent markers that work well too.
 Some inks will work on bare wood but experiment first. Some will bleed into the wood giving a blurry appearance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 11:20:01 am »
I like a maybaline nano liner. I probally spelled that wrong. I think it from doing fine line for eye make up. my wife has gotten a few different brands but the one I like best is the maybaline fine line. I use it over a couple coats of tru oil. let it dry and then put a couple more coats of tru oil over it to lock it on. its kind of a cross between a fine line marker and a brush. I can write pretty small with it if necessary. I like the brushed look. if I make a mistake I can usually wipe it off the tru oil,
bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 11:29:23 am »
I have found that an archival ink pen works really well.  I picked up a set of these at a hobby store and have had good luck.  I do make sure and spray a poly on the area I will write on and then after the archival ink dries I spray another light coat of poly over the writing. Then I can continue with additional coats of whatever finish I am using.  This has held up well for me.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 12:23:47 pm »
Traditional nib pen and Indian Ink - no choice for me. It never fades and you can write in any style you want with a different nib. It gives a professional look that lasts.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 12:39:33 pm »
I use a fine point industrial sharpie (not a regular sharpie).
Gordon

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 12:53:55 pm »
Indian ink with the old dip into the bottle method.They make white indian ink too.Only water will make it run off after it dries.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:12:42 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 01:03:25 pm »
After 1 coat tung oil and 3 coats of tru-oil I sand with 400 then 0000 steel wool and write with either a pigment pen, or chisel point calligraphy pen. Let sit for couple minutes then lightly(on low) graze over with the heat gun to make sure it’s set. Then continue with the tru-oil as usual.
Just don’t spray any alcohol based finishes over top the ink like shellac, it’s ruin the whole thing.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 03:01:36 pm »
I use a calligraphy pen and white archival india ink. It is actually an acrylic paint, water won't make it run after it dries but it can be removed with alcohol and a good scrubbing.
what I like about it is a wet paper towel will remove it before it dries in case you goof up, I goof up a lot when it comes to lettering.

I put two coats of tru-oil down first, letter and add a couple more coats, it never smears or fades.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 03:40:38 pm »
Add me into the India ink with dip pen group. I put down a couple coats of truoil before I put my marks. It makes the bib write smoother and without finish, the grain can pull the ink. And you can find it in about any color your like. I have found that lacquer will smear dry India ink, so be careful with that.

Kyle

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 06:36:41 pm »
Thanks so much for all the responses.  So much good information on this site!

Matt

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 08:04:39 pm »
I use Micron pens which have archival ink. They don't fade over time and there are lots of size and tip choices. I write directly onto the sanded wood. i haven't really had bleeding issues. Then the finish goes on over it.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 10:16:55 am »
This is exactly the pen I have tried most recently.....I love the Micron archival pens for a variety of things....but I just couldn't get it to "stick" to my bows.  I'm sure its my fault, but it just wouldn't resist smudging or blurring when I applied a coat over it.  Maybe I will try it again.

Matt