Author Topic: Ocean spray bows  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Corvus

Re: Ocean spray bows
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 04:56:42 pm »
Don't forget splicing. There are so many OS pieces that are just a touch short for a bow but make great billets. The large diameter ones quite often fall in this category.

Good point, literally sitting on a mother load of the stuff here then lol. When hardware store is open on Monday I will have to grab some shellac so I can start gathering and sealing
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:27 am »
Idk how to make attachments smaller in size on my phone lol. Even in this thicket of smaller ocean spray I could see a good 3 staves or so( probably more, but accounting for failures during seasoning)

If you email the pictures to yourself, you should be able to select a smaller size.  Then you can use the smaller pictures to post on here.  That is what I do all the time.  I hope that helps you.

Mike

Offline Corvus

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 10:07:55 pm »
Will try that for pics, if not then guess there is imgur. Too tired to fiddle with that today lol.

So I mean I expect the answers are it is not worth it, but curious about drying some OS in a hotbox. Like I will have heaps of billet material and I know the likelihood is high for checking... That said if I wanna try to get something workable sooner and I have it to spare?
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 11:24:13 pm »
I've never tried it but if you've got lots, go ahead. The thing is, the wood is so dense it just takes a long time for the moisture to travel through it.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 11:53:08 pm »
Corvus, Ocean Spray is a great bow wood, and you're dang lucky if you have lots of 2" diameter 10-15' tall shoots available! Are you in the San Juans?

I've made a few bows from OS, some more successful than others. But I have 2 tips which might be helpful:

-If you are dealing with really nice large (and by large I mean >1.75"  ;D) diameter OS, you might want to consider trapping the bow back a bit. I know it sounds crazy on a stave that narrow, but the wood is so ridiculously tension strong that even with a pretty high crown and heat treated belly I've still had chrysals form where I wasn't expecting any.

-OS really likes to split, as others have mentioned, which is a pain for drying in the round, but with a big knife/junk hatchet/hammer you can split most any piece of fresh OS straight down the middle if you're careful. If you're lucky you can get two staves this way! If you're not aiming for two staves, or on smaller diameter staves, you can try splitting off ~1/3 of the piece, and then use a sharp knife to carefully score down the center of the exposed wood. I've had great success getting that initial cut to split straight to the pith, without having any other cracks form. Then clean out that crack in the handle section after the piece dries and then fill it in with epoxy to make a stiff-handle bow without laminating anything.

Hope that helps, and good luck! Excited to see some epic Ocean Spray bows soon :D

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 12:35:55 am »
Will try that for pics, if not then guess there is imgur. Too tired to fiddle with that today lol.

So I mean I expect the answers are it is not worth it, but curious about drying some OS in a hotbox. Like I will have heaps of billet material and I know the likelihood is high for checking... That said if I wanna try to get something workable sooner and I have it to spare?

I think your gonna be pretty shocked when you see how bad it’s gonna split open.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 09:21:45 am »

I think your gonna be pretty shocked when you see how bad it’s gonna split open.

And how soon :D

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 07:11:01 pm »
Another thing. OS bends pretty well with steam but not far. Trying to make sharpish recurves has resulted in failure for me every time. Kerfing is the only way I can put decent hooks in an OS bow and even then the wood can only be 1/4" thick either side of the kerf.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 09:14:23 pm »
Another thing. OS bends pretty well with steam but not far. Trying to make sharpish recurves has resulted in failure for me every time. Kerfing is the only way I can put decent hooks in an OS bow and even then the wood can only be 1/4" thick either side of the kerf.

A soak and a boil will get yah a bit more bend. And of course a proper thickness taper and smoothed edges.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Corvus

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 09:19:17 pm »
Corvus, Ocean Spray is a great bow wood, and you're dang lucky if you have lots of 2" diameter 10-15' tall shoots available! Are you in the San Juans?

Yep,  exactly lol. Out in these isles OS is basically a giant weed

(Had to super crop to get size limit, will figure it out later. Not sure how resize from phone. Email did not change the size)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:36:12 pm by Corvus »
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 10:57:06 am »
Never tried to post pics before but here goes.  The first is a heavy takedown.  The second is a decrowned silk backed almost ambush bow.

Ocean spray https://imgur.com/gallery/QXoXhr9

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 11:20:27 am »
Nice, I like the partial bark back. :)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 08:35:09 pm »
Google a bowyer named Curt Brisky.  He makes a lot of ocean spray bows and I bet he'd enjoy talking to you about them.  I never shot one, but they do look pretty!
T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 06:07:34 am »
Never tried to post pics before but here goes.  The first is a heavy takedown.  The second is a decrowned silk backed almost ambush bow.

Ocean spray https://imgur.com/gallery/QXoXhr9

Those are awesome looking bows
In the woods I find my peace