Author Topic: Bouncing around ideas while waiting for materials  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Corvus

Bouncing around ideas while waiting for materials
« on: April 13, 2020, 08:47:57 pm »
Hi, new here. *waves* Waiting on materials, getting back into things after a while now that life has settled down. So basically I am planning out a few

bows and since I have seen quite a few knowledgeable folks while browsing before I signed up I thought I would put some ideas out there for some feedback.
My first 2 are kinda an experiment that I have not tried before. Mine have always followed the fairly standard wide and thin model, which is how I was going to make one of them so I can do a face off between the two so to speak.

I was thinking of trying a narrow and thick model since it is said they shoot faster. Instead of doing the standard around 1.5" at widest and around 1/2" at thickest I was thinking of running something along the lines of 1"-1 1/8" widest and 3/4"-7/8" at thickest.

Also thinking this means I may run the horn and sinew layers heavier as well. Main idea is seeing how this may change DW and the possible other side effects to accuracy, fps, etc... Thoughts? Would like to get into discussion while I await my materials.

P.S. 5 piece horn bow designs
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:01:13 am by Corvus »
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Bouncing around ideas while waiting for materials
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 09:27:44 pm »
some people do less than an inch for width i hear. havent seen one though. i know you can make a 1" bow though, probably can go less
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:07 pm »
i'm confused are you making a selfbow or a composite  ???
regardless i like the narrower style make it bendy handle and you have my style of bow, i can't speak to the science of it (i'm just a dude who bends sticks) but i have heard that narrow and thick shoots faster but breaks down and takes set sooner, thats just anecdotal though i've never payed attention to it.
i do feel that a narrow and thick design is more forgiving to tiller.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 10:15:20 pm »
If it's narrow and thick you won't be able to bend it.

Offline Corvus

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 10:57:17 pm »
@dylan

5 piece composite, so no bendy handle, but that was the idea behind it. The idea of shooting faster while hoping the design aspects counteract the set and breakdown

@patm

The 5 piece construction should help with the bending as it is 2 shorter pieces rather than trying to muscle a full core into proper shape
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 11:30:58 pm »

narrow and thick compared to a flat bow, i figured that should have been obvious from context  ???

Offline Corvus

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 11:58:20 pm »

narrow and thick compared to a flat bow, i figured that should have been obvious from context  ???

I also put the dimensions there, not that much extra thickness really. Also osage is one of those woods that bends well
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 01:38:53 am »
Are you making a hornbow with an osage core?
Or planning on comparing two different designs for an osage selfbow?
Your question doesn't really make sense at present without more info.

Offline Corvus

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 01:44:46 am »
Are you making a hornbow with an osage core?
Or planning on comparing two different designs for an osage selfbow?

Would a selfbow have a 5 piece construction design?
Will edit 1st post to mention that
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 01:53:32 am »
No problem....but yes a selfbow could have a 5 piece construction if you so desired....
Well the answer is easy enough then :)
You will be limited by the width of your horns. Unless you plan on laminating multiple strips side by side.
Thicker is quicker is the rule but of course going too thick and narrow will lead to instability issues.
How many hornbows have you made before? If you have any pictures of the sort of design you plan on using i'll be able to help further.
There is a section on the forum for hornbows in particular.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 07:29:38 am »
Your dimensions and desired radius of bend will limit the thickness and therefore width will decide the draw weight.

Selfbow means one piece of wood doing the work/bending (not including handle and overlays). Laminated or composite bows are not selfbows.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 08:14:47 am »

Still....   The material of your core becomes less relevant also.   You're not harnessing the power of Osage after you bury it in the core.   

Offline Corvus

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 10:06:41 am »
No problem....but yes a selfbow could have a 5 piece construction if you so desired....
Well the answer is easy enough then :)
You will be limited by the width of your horns. Unless you plan on laminating multiple strips side by side.
Thicker is quicker is the rule but of course going too thick and narrow will lead to instability issues.
How many hornbows have you made before? If you have any pictures of the sort of design you plan on using i'll be able to help further.
There is a section on the forum for hornbows in particular.
I always regarded a selfbow as a single piece core, but I guess it is more common to see splices now. I have made 3 successful ones in the past, but sadly due to instability in life only thing I have left from before is tools. 1 was a tatar like I am planning and 2 were Mongol inspired. Had used wide and narrow setups with a core of rock maple and they were little slower than I wanted.
I thought the general discussion may be better than hornbow since it is likely another month before I even get all my materials together to start building. Planning out design aspects now, I will have enough for 3 bows, with just 1 being the thick and narrow to test it out with an identical dimensions and materials one that is more standard thickness and width. Both these I am looking at a tatar design, but not sure on the 3rd yet.
[/quote]
 Still....   The material of your core becomes less relevant also.   You're not harnessing the power of Osage after you bury it in the core.   
[/quote]

I get it becomes less relevant, but it is the optimal choice for a narrower build. Will reduce the issues that could arise from the thick and narrow design element.
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 11:11:54 am »

I get it becomes less relevant, but it is the optimal choice for a narrower build. Will reduce the issues that could arise from the thick and narrow design element.

How so?

Offline Corvus

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 11:49:23 am »
How so?

Thinking behind this is that osage is a good bow wood in general due to having high compression strength while still retaining good elasticity, correct or no?

The narrower limb will undergo more stress per square inch is what is going to be a big factor in stability, like how bownarra mentioned horn width, had not thought about doing something like that, but not sure the stability of doing more than 1 strip side by side like that.

All in all that is why I believe osage would be the premium choice for a core in a design like this as it makes core failure and instability less of a factor due to it's inherent properties that make it a good bow core anyways.
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW