Author Topic: Not sure if I can do anything with this?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline jamesh76

Not sure if I can do anything with this?
« on: April 07, 2020, 08:52:58 am »
Not any experiance with staves. I found this in the garage, forgot I started messing with it 4 month ago.  Its 64# long. At one time I marked out a bend thru handle
 It measures 4 " handle, 4" total fades.  It's not very thick. Aboutb1 1/4 " at handle.  Looks like pyramid taper to 1/2" nocks. Its 64" long so I could get 62" ntn. Has some.cracks on the belly side running up/down the limb. Not sure how deep they are.   Ya think its salvageable?. I think when I taper limbs I will get below cracks.  I guess worse case it goes in fire pit?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Not sure if I can do anything with this?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 09:23:57 am »
if its osage, yeah sure its salvageable. other wood probably not
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:48:51 am »
I'd say go for it. Start reducing the limbs and see how it goes. If you do a bendy handle bow save the middle 1/3 until both limbs are bending well then bring the bend back towards the middle. It may not work out for you but it will give you experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:11:15 am »
Make a bow !!!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:19:47 am »
You bet...You got enough thickness for a bendy or stiff handled bow if so desired.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 05:13:14 pm »
Didnt have much time today working 7pm-7am. I was curious to see what these cracks consisted of. Some were on the edge. .... I started thinking this piece to.somewhat bow shape. I can see lines where I drew the tapers at one time. I believe the wood is still wet. Lots of knots. I need better lighting in my garage above the bench.  Also need a better vise.  Mines small, I have been using a 2x4 and clamping the wood to the 2x4.  Probably need another ratchet clamp.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 05:16:00 pm »
I'd say go for it. Start reducing the limbs and see how it goes. If you do a bendy handle bow save the middle 1/3 until both limbs are bending well then bring the bend back towards the middle. It may not work out for you but it will give you experience.
thanks!  Ya can't learn if ya don't try. I'm sure I will be full of questions. I read a bunch at work online during down time. Its hit and miss activity as a first responder. Some days busy, some boring.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 05:23:00 pm »
Shoot yeah you have to go for it.  Tons to learn.  Build a caul and play with shaping it into some reflex, perhaps.  Maybe "flip the tips".

You look like you have a very good feel for what you are doing, being new. 
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 06:01:31 pm »
...and thanks for your service in these trying times. Be safe, stay healthy.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 06:11:12 pm »
Just checking...you do have a solid growth ring chased on the back?
1’—>1’

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 07:03:48 pm »
Shoot yeah you have to go for it.  Tons to learn.  Build a caul and play with shaping it into some reflex, perhaps.  Maybe "flip the tips".

You look like you have a very good feel for what you are doing, being new.

I have thought about that.  I will research that as well. currently reading up on steam and bending so that should come together with tips and reflex.  i need to check how thick it is, had to take more off the belly than i wanted to get below some cracks. width of profile needs adjusted also.  i still think stave is too wet. I may buy a meter so I can check them.  Tree was fallen probably 1 year ago and left outside, I found it 6 months ago and cut this piece off then split and sealed.   I need to measure limb thickness are now, I'm guessing 5/8 or so. Might end up a kids bow or something if I can get it working.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 07:11:26 pm by jamesh76 »

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 07:05:05 pm »
Just checking...you do have a solid growth ring chased on the back?

yeah, there is a ring chased on the back. I may go down 1 more before i do much more with this.  the ring seems to thin at one end towards the tip in the center of the ring on the back of bow.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 08:08:02 pm »
if theres no ring violation it doesnt matter if its thinner in one part or another. so your good.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 08:55:07 pm »
I will give it a good look over tomorrow and see what I actually have.  I almost threw this piece out a couple months ago.  I really need to look at the knots and make sure I didn't violate anything there.  This was probably the 3rd or 4th stave I ever attempted to chase a ring on.  If I remember this was a piece which didn't split well, I was messing with.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 11:41:43 am »
Looks very doable to me. Just remove what isn’t a bow and put that in the fire pit.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise