Author Topic: family history  (Read 4154 times)

Offline DC

Re: family history
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 10:41:55 am »
According to old church books my ancestors have been living in the same valley (an area of some 50 square miles) since 1490's on my father's side and maybe a few decades less on my mother's side. They most likely originally came from what is today Serbia and relocated to today's Slovenia due to the Ottomans and stayed in the same area for the next 500 years or so. In fact both family names can be traced to their respecitve villages as far back as 1600's. My father's surname is mentioned in relation to "attempting to incite a peasant's revolt". The guy got punished with 30 strikes using a "light stick", tried to incite another revolt a few years later and got sentenced to 30 heavy stripes using a "heavy stick". No mention of defying authorities for the next 370 years after that. On my mother's side the surname is mentioned across several generations as clergymen or their brothers. More recently, one of my great great grandfathers came from Italy some time before 1900.

That's cool to have such deep roots :D I've often wondered if I would feel differently about "things" if my family had lived in one spot for hundreds or thousands of years. I saw an Australian production about human migration. One of the people was an Aborigine and his mothers line had been living in the same small area for over 30,000 years. That's got to do something in your head. :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 05:53:47 am »
Pretty much like Pearl. German Catholic farmers . Came here after the big fire of 1881. There is one of the oldest Polish settlements in America about 10 miles west. I remember my dad telling me my grandma told him not to go out with those polish girls.lol. I was related to almost every girl in my school. Took me 36 years but I found a good German girl from another school closer to the polish settlement.lol. Being German wasn’t one of my priorities.

My cousin went back to the homeland  farm a few years ago. He brought some dirt. Gave everyone a little. I ate some and spread the rest on my farm.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 08:16:35 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 07:37:10 am »
My wife has done a lot of genealogy on both hers and my family.  My European ancestors came to Canada in the 1600's and are a mix of French, English, German and probably a couple others.  My native side is Mi'kmak, Abanaki and possibly Naskapi
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 06:51:22 am »
My people came from England in the 1600 , settled in the NC then moved west to middle TN. :) :) In Early 1700, we were goat herders for the king in the 1400's and the king crested our family for that. I will put up a picture of our crest if I can fine it, pretty cool. :) I am just a typical European white male, nothing special. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:25 am »
My first Ancestry DNA test had me a 48% Scandinavian, 30% english, 9% eastern european (Russia) 7% southern mediterranean and the rest undecided.

They updated the results lately and came up with about the same except the 48% scandinavian had been changed to eastern european and added that I had 1% from a tribe in the congo.

We have a long family history of Cherokee blood with my great grandmother supposedly being full. This didn't show in my DNA, I later found that Cherokees don't have a distinct genetic profile like western tribes. Their genetic code is diverse and mixed and can't be pinpointed, they even have Jewish DNA in their profile.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 02:09:46 pm »
Pretty much like Pearl. German Catholic farmers . Came here after the big fire of 1881. There is one of the oldest Polish settlements in America about 10 miles west. I remember my dad telling me my grandma told him not to go out with those polish girls.lol. I was related to almost every girl in my school. Took me 36 years but I found a good German girl from another school closer to the polish settlement.lol. Being German wasn’t one of my priorities.

My cousin went back to the homeland  farm a few years ago. He brought some dirt. Gave everyone a little. I ate some and spread the rest on my farm.
Bjrogg

I'm curious--what big fire in 1881?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 03:40:06 pm »
Jeff there was a large forest Fire here in 1881. It must have been terrible. Many died. I heard stories of people hiding in wells and rivers. Many still died. I also have heard that many went out to Lake Huron. The ash from the fire made a lye solution and many died with their skin pealing off.

After the fire farmers moved in. My great grandfather came over with other families from Germany then.

Bjrogg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2020, 10:32:53 am »
I don't wanna throw cold water on everyone, but be sensitive about collecting family history.  In college, as part of a genetics course, we had to collect and diagram our family relationships.  My father has always been a cold and tight-lipped man, but I went around him and gathered information from external sources.

The stories I got were hair raising, to say the least. I tracked all 38 living and dead family members from his side back to my grandparents and that's exactly where the trail went cold. I submitted my diagram for the class and took my grade.

A year later I was called by a woman that said she believed we are related. I told her I really doubted it, but sure, let's compare notes. She arranged to meet with me later in the summer as she and her husband drove across the country on vacation. She brought computer print outs of the genealogy going back to the ancestor that immigrated from Norway in 1872. My family on my father's side expanded from 38 living and dead to over 400 in America alone.

She was very careful ask me if I was going to handle this well if I got information that was disturbing or painful.  She explained there was a lot of pain, anger, and even violence associated. I agreed to not hold her responsible, seeing as neither she or I were part of the drama. In short, our branch of the family tree was "pruned" off. Let's just say that when my father found out I knew about our family history the very poor relation he and I have always had was over.

I am no longer welcomed home for family events, half the family tolerates me at best (most of them have not been exposed to the family history), and the others are openly hostile.  It's not any great loss to me, as we were never much of a close family to start with. The generational dysfunction really rides our family hard.

When you start probing family history, be sensitive. Remember that sometimes a lie is the kindest truth.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:37:19 am by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 10:37:53 am »
John, my Dad used to say...never look in closets, you might find skeletons. Made me want to look deeper.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2020, 11:40:06 am »
You have to remember many folks were "exiled" for crimes like smuggling, sheep stealing, etc!  Not everyone was an stellar citizen, war hero, or whatever!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 12:54:02 pm »
You have to remember many folks were "exiled" for crimes like smuggling, sheep stealing, etc!  Not everyone was an stellar citizen, war hero, or whatever!
Hawkdancer

Yup more than a few black sheep out there from every generation. Like Jerry said. There’s a lot of things that are common place now, that could have got your head chopped off not so very long ago.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 01:08:03 pm »
My sis belongs to the local genealogy club and they are usually very excited when they find a murderer. The mother of a friend was doing her genealogy and happily so for about a year when she discovered that a long lost uncle was a murderer. She was so choked that she threw everything away and wouldn't talk about family ever again. No figuring how people are going to react. I guess it depends on the morality of the crime.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 03:57:55 pm »
That's irredeemably extreme, ostracising someone because he found out some old family secret.

A few years ago my grandfather received a letter from the USA inquiring about someone whose name read like an anglicized version of his long deceased uncle's name. The uncle emigrated to Pittsburgh (he supposedly owned a store there) around the year 1900 (we don't know exactly when) and stayed in the USA until his death. As far as we knew he had no children. We emailed them all the info we had but received no reply. I suppose they got their information and didn't want any more trouble with us.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:34:13 pm by Strichev »

Offline bushboy

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 11:14:04 pm »
Im a maclean,my ancestors were products of the Highland clearances in Scotland after the defeat at Culloden at the hands of the English...my gggggggrand father left Scotland (moidart) and settled in Nova Scotia canada.there is a similar story on my mother's side..
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 01:09:21 am »
Sheep stealer, bounders, and brigands of all kinds!  "And ye cannot go home to Ireland or even Scotland instead, ye cannot home to Ireland for the crown has a price on your head!" ( from a song I wrote "Ye cannot go home"). History isn't what we've been told!  Darn!, we're cheerful today!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry