Author Topic: Hey Manny, my guava bow!  (Read 11509 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Hey Manny, my guava bow!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 10:57:40 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Dnice Pat,...yeah I've learned with Guava that when I think the outher limb is narrow enought, to go a bit more narrow ;) ;),
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Dano

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 11:06:02 pm »
I still think it's gotta smart when your beard gets caught in the string :o

That is some fine work there Pat.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 11:16:13 pm »
Glad to see you finally finish one Pat. Its been a while since you posted anything...... ;D Nice job. The bottum limb looks a little weaker than the top to me at full draw, but other than that she looks pretty darn good. How did you like the guava ?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 11:33:40 pm »
I like the string keeper.  The bow is pretty nice too.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 11:45:50 pm »
Pat,I like it ;D Tips look great, don't see that style every day...

Rich

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 11:51:37 pm »
Great looking bow!
Those are some labor-intensive tips!
Wonderful idea for the short snakes. Now I won't feel so bad killing those 24" copperheads. >:D
Not that I felt TOO bad.

Offline david w.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 12:28:39 am »
thats a sweet bow! ;D i love that.  i especially love those tips.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 01:34:59 am »
Thanks everyone. It has been a while since I posted any bows but hopefully the dry spell is over.
  I've been playing with this type of tips lately. I got the idea from Mike Treadway, a bowyer from Marshall, NC.Mike built my glass longbow. On my bow Mike put a small flat piece of horn to protect the very tip of the bottom limb. Well, like a grisly piece of meat, it grew the more I chewed on the idea.  I now add a brass pin inserted through the tip piece down into the limb tip. I had a few pop off before, but not now.  Maybe I'll do a build along.  ;)
 Ryan, I can see the lower limb being weaker and Yankee's oval proves it.  ;) It is good getting back in the swing.
Yankee, I'm only trying to shake the rust loose after not seeing my work for a while. You don't have to loose any sleep worrying about me becoming a "Tiller Fanatic". I'm far from that.  ;D   
  The guava worked like hickory but denser. This stuff is heavy. Finished bow feels twice the physical weight of a similar HHB I've recently finished.(Steve, I promise I will weigh it for you ;D)
Dano, I haven't had that problem since compound days. I wrote a limerick about it in the "limerick thread" Hillbilly started.
  Manny, Thanks for the opportunity to work this great bow wood. The wood is beautiful also. It is a shame to cover its beauty.
I will reduce the tips but later! ;) The other snaky stave will be another story. 8)
 OK, I know there are a bunch of GUAVA staves out there. Lets see some bows. I know for a fact that the wood is dry enough to work! ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 02:30:23 am »
Super bow as usual Pat, I cant see any thing wrong with the tiller. Anxious to see it in Tenn. in a few days. Am bringing my snakey guava stave to try and get a bow out of it, should be lots of expert help and advice. Don't envy you with those slithery snakes in your yard.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Gordon

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 03:08:55 am »
I had a few pop off before, but not now.

Pat I used to experience that problem occasionally until I figured out what I was doing wrong. If the tips flex even a little bit and your overlays are not gradually feathered into the limb, they can come off. I broke one bow that way and came close on a couple of others. Now I keep my tips stiff and really feather the overlays and have not had a problem since.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 03:57:45 am »

hey pat!  -  i love this bow! really nice tip idea!!!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 08:22:43 am »
Nice bow Pat.  I think the tiller looks off because the top limb is a bit stiffer than the lower just past mid limb
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 08:51:15 am »
Very nice bow Pat,love the copper heads,to bad they hardly ever grow very long around here.
Tip look great also very well done.Hope to see it up close at the Classic.It dose form the only
one I worked on [,the comunity bow] work a lot like Hickory.Good wood and seem pretty tough.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:01 am »
Pat with a tiller like that I'm sure that you will be embarassed to be seen at Pappy's with it,
so ya better just give it to the Yooper to look after ;D

Looks good Pat, the skins are sweet and the tips are a bit different. Nice.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 09:27:28 am »
Great looking bow, Pat. At least you finally got one posted, I haven't had a chance to work on any much lately. I've got half-a-dozen half finished bows sitting around. Looking forward to seeing that one in person next week.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.