Author Topic: Hey Manny, my guava bow!  (Read 11508 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Hey Manny, my guava bow!
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:32:34 pm »
This is the second guava stave I got from Manny a while back. The first is real snaky so I'm saving it for later. ;D
  She is 64"t/t, 58#@28", 1 1/2" at the fades, 1 3/8" at mid limb and 5/8" tips(a bit too big). The copperhead skins came from small snakes I killed in my front yard. They were too short for complete limb coverage so I went as far as they would go and wrapped the ends with string serving material. The tip overlays are zebra wood cut and glued back together to form a chevron design and cow horn on the very tips. The handle wrap in hemp twine set in Massey finish and Ferrets floppy rest at the arrow pass. I've got about 6 coats of Tru-Oil and the pen work was done with a bamboo quill type pen I made and India ink.
  She shoots quite well. If I would reduce the tips more, she would be a bit faster and with less shock, although there isn't much now.   Enjoy,     Pat

ps, I'll post full draw and braced pics soon

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

Re: Hey Manny, my guava bow!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:42:11 pm »
Sweet lookin bow Pat, nice use of them rascally copperhead skins.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline John K

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 06:43:53 pm »
Looks great Pat ! I really like the tips  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:48:59 pm »
Thanks guys. Yea Dano it is getting to be copperhead time of year again. My dogs point them out to me. Both have been hit 2 or 3 times :o...some hot and some not. Generally I beat the snakes so bad there is not much left for even arrow cresting. ;D 
John, I'll try to post better pics of the tips I am proud of the way they look, myself.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:04 pm »
very nice looking bow, pat, but why did you tiller her to 28"?  >:D  i do like the tips with that chevron design.  that zebrawood came out purdy

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:02:43 pm »
Very nice Pat, I like the cooperhead skins. Hopfully I'll have enough to cover one of my in a couple months.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 07:09:35 pm »
very cool. ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:40:34 pm »
I was wondering when those guava staves that Manny has been sending out were going to start popping up. It looks like Pat has set a high bar for the rest of us.
Gordon

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:04:30 pm »
 Absolutely stunning Pat ;) That is one very fine bow. The skins, tips, and thread wraps along with the beautiful handle wrap bring the package all together. Congratulations ;)  Keenan

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »
WOW, that is GORGEOUS! Really and truly...I think I like what you did better than if you'd had bigger copperhead skins. What a great looking bow.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:23:13 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'm not real pleased with the tiller now that I see it on the screen. That can be fixed later. Here are the braced and full draw pics and a few close ups of the top and bottom tips.   Pat

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 08:35:01 pm »
Sweet bow Pat! I really like backing- it's nice actually having some open wood around the skins for artowrk :)!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 08:37:52 pm »
Thanks Kegan. Thats my back yard.  ;D
   Here are the braced and full draw pics.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 08:44:35 pm »
Again that is an awesome bow Pat. ;D Those tips are a perfect match, and the braced pic actually looks like it has a slight gull wing profile.  ;)  Keenan

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 09:54:37 pm »
very Cool bow Pat I love those tips also
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark