Author Topic: A walk on the beach.  (Read 2025 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
A walk on the beach.
« on: March 17, 2020, 06:08:00 am »
I finished up this barely bend through the handle HHB. I started this bow last winter. It had a little natural reflex I managed to keep in the handle area. It was limited by the how thin this one was on on one tip. It’s a little lighter than most of my bows,  it it sure does fling a arrow.

Tips are Water Buffalo Horn from PA Steve. Thanks Steve I really like this stuff for overlays and it goes really well with the white HHB.

The skins are garner snake. I usually catch them and relocate them. They are very beneficial. These two weren’t so lucky.

The top limb is a unlucky one that showed up in our house one day. My wife doesn’t like them as much as I do. She had my son dispatch it with the garden hoe. I skinned it best I could and air dried it. It had some areas that got cut up by the garden hoe.  I decided to give it a torn distressed look on its edges. I like how it turned out.

The bottom limb is one my dad got with the weed wacker several years back. Once again it was a bit jagged and I continued the distressed look theme. It’s a bit smaller and darker. The colors didn’t match perfect with the top limb so I got a little creative with my magic markers. Still a little dark but I think they blend in pretty well now.

It’s a barely bend through handle and I decided to build it up slightly with some cork. I never used cork before. I posted some questions and got some replies. I like how it feels. It won’t be my last cork.

I covered handle with some black leather my friend DJ gave me. I laced it together with a baseball stitch. I though my red and blue d97 bow line went really good with the skins. I left the tag ens long and attached a couple turkey breast feathers using some river cane scraps. They look amazing in the sun.

Well I hope you like her.

HHB I forget exact length

34@26”

I’m really impressed how fast this one flings a almost 600 grain arrow. It a killer for sure.

Enough talk. Here’s a bunch of pictures. Sorry no full draw yet. I’ll try to get one later today.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: A walk on the beach.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 06:09:18 am »
More
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 06:10:35 am »
One more and then one back home
Bjrogg

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:16:11 am »
You really are cranking out the bows.  I really like this one.  Very nice craftsmanship BJ.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:24:36 am »
Very nice combination on that bow BJ.  It appears put a lot of thought into that.  Did ya go for a swim in the Lake, afterwards?  How is the water, still a little cool?! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 07:13:56 am »
Those are big garter snakes, wow. I rarely see them over 12-15" around me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 08:23:45 am »
Thanks Swampman. It helps having a bunch started from last winter. Might be the last for awhile. Depending on the spring weather. Farming is starting to get in the way.

Thanks Steve. Didn’t even stick my toes in the water. Pretty sure there’s still ice floating around out there.

Chris these weren’t really terribly big but pretty good good sized for around here. Maybe the big one grew bigger in the house.lol. They sure are pretty.

Thanks for looking
Bjrogg

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 08:26:13 am »
Nice bow.  I occasionally see garter snakes in the 24" range here but I know they get bigger than that even
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Will B

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 09:20:58 am »
Great looking bow and beautiful pictures. I love the color of the skins with the handle wrap. Great job!

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 12:48:39 pm »
Nice one BJ :D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 01:38:47 pm »
Nice shooter BJ.....Nice color coordinating on it also.I get a garder now and then over here too.Longest pair were both 29" a piece.Lot more of them out there that are quite a bit shorter though.They are paper thin skins but work pretty well.
When we put spruce siding on this house the pile of siding over the spring while finishing contained quite a few garders living in that pile of siding.My large pile of shavings and scrap wood nowadays hold many garders.They like eating those crickets.Where ever there's a lot of crickets the garders are around here.Under a pile of sheet metal too.
Here's good sized one that took on a big toad.I left her alone.

The snake had the back leg down his throat but I don't think she actually got the job done eating him.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 03:04:54 pm »
Another excellent bow BJ. Those skins came out great. Glad you're getting some use out of those buff horns.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 06:37:34 pm »
Man that is sharp looking! Love the skins
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 07:39:02 pm »
Thanks Marc. Years ago there was one that liked to hang out where I mowed the lawn by the barn. I really like them, but they still make me jump when I first see them.

Thanks Will and DC

Ed they are thinner than paper. They didn’t add much weight to this bow. Looks like that one has its mouth full.

Thanks Steve and thanks again for the horn.

Glad you like it Aylln

Bjrogg

Ps  Sorry no full draw pictures yet. I get them as soon as I can. I was self isolating in my tractor cab today
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:42:32 pm by bjrogg »

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:16 pm »
That's a sharp looking bow BJ