Author Topic: Rendezvous Bow - Completed  (Read 15516 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Rendezvous Bow
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2020, 09:56:52 pm »
Those are without question the most beautiful tip overlays I've ever seen.  Thanks for sharing.

Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Gordon

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2020, 02:10:26 pm »
Thank you for the nice compliment Thomas.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2020, 02:16:52 pm »
I thoroughly stressed the bow this week and she made it through without any issues. After a few small tiller adjustments and final sanding the bow is pulling 40# at 27". That is perfect for the intended owner.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2020, 02:25:42 pm »
I like to build up the front of the handle because I think it makes the handle more comfortable for the shooter. I superglue three strips of rawhide together, roughly shape on a belt sander and then glue it to the handle. I should note that I flattened the front of the handle with a block and sandpaper before fastening the rawhide. I then bring the rawhide to final shape using a file and scrapper.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2020, 02:37:58 pm »
I am going to put a coat of shellac on the bow to seal it and give it a bit of natural color. I break up the shellac flakes, mix them with alcohol and then set it aside for a few hours.  Before applying the shellac, I rub the bow down with alcohol and let it dry. This causes the grain to raise slightly and I knock it back by lightly sanding with a fine grit sanding pad. I do this twice to make sure the grain will not raise anymore. When the shellac flakes have fully dissolved I apply the shellac to the bow with a brush. The wood darkens up a bit and I am happy with the result. I like the look of natural wood which is especially desirable for a bow that will be used for rendezvous.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »
After the shellac has dried I go over it lightly with a fine grit sanding pad to knock down the remaining whiskers. Now I am going to apply the finish. I have recently began using Permalyn Gun Stock Finish by Laurel Mountain Forge to finish my bows. I like it because you rub the finish onto the surface with your finger or the palm of your hand and it dries quickly. That makes it really easy to avoid runs and dust particles. It is also easy to clean and thin using mineral spirits. I use this finish on my rifle stocks and can attest that it is just as good a finish as Tru-Oil. I will put on about 6 coats and lightly sand between each coat.

I will pickup this thread again when I have all the coats of finish applied.
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2020, 06:23:05 pm »
The first coat of finish has dried and I am ready to write on the bow. I buff the surface with a fine grit wool and letter with an extra fine point industrial sharpie. I don't recommend using a regular sharpie as the letters will eventually fade. I wait several minutes to ensure the ink is dry and then apply the next coat of finish.

Gordon

Offline M2A

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »
Thanks for taking the time. Heck of a good build-a-long.
Mike 

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2020, 11:41:43 pm »
Thanks for that buildalong.
This bow came out beautiful, I like the colors on the back!
Your friend will be happy.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Gordon

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2020, 04:23:02 pm »
After applying 8 coats of finish it is time to rub out the finish. I start by taking out blemishes in the finish with 600 grit wet dry sandpaper applied wet. I do this carefully so as not to sand through the finish into the wood or lettering. I follow that with a medium fine grit abrasive wool and a super fine grit wool. I then buff out the finish using medium pumice in vegetable oil followed by fine pumice. This treatment leaves the finish silky smooth and glowing.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2020, 04:28:07 pm »
I cut a patch of elk hide for the handle. I also cut an arrow pass from a scrap piece of deer hide. I fit the leather to the handle so that I have to stretch it just a bit to get the inside edges to touch. Then I punch holes in the leather to pass lace through.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2020, 04:31:15 pm »
I stain the leather with mahogany leather dye and prepare the lace.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2020, 04:35:15 pm »
This is a bow to be used for Rendezvous so in keeping with the bow I am going to keep the handle wrap simple.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2020, 04:38:47 pm »
Now I glue on the arrow pass. Rendezvous rules don't generally allow the use of an arrow rest so this will be a simple shoot off the hand bow.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2020, 04:42:56 pm »
I like to finish my handle wraps with a lacquer finish that is made for leather. It brings out the color in the leather and keeps the handle clean and nice looking even after years of use. I put on two coats letting the first coat dry before applying the second.

Gordon