Author Topic: New vise idea. How do others clamp there bows?  (Read 2394 times)

Offline High-Desert

New vise idea. How do others clamp there bows?
« on: February 09, 2020, 08:04:10 pm »
Since I’ve been makin bows, I have always used a regular bench vise. I have always built little magnets wood jaws with leather to attach to the vise jaws to protect the potential bows. I have always been irritated by having to use so much pressure to hold the staves from pushing through as a rasp away. I built a new bench this last year that weight close to 300 pounds due to the movement of my last bench moving so much where I had to stand on it as I worked. I didn’t want the new bench to be taken up with a permanent vise. So I came up with this contraption, with a cheap vise that wood can’t push out the bottom and doesn’t require so much pressure to clamp a bow down, and can be moved easily off the bench. Just throwing this idea out there for anyone looking for new ways of doing this, and I’d be curious to see how others work in there bows, vise? No vise? I’m always looking for new and better ways of doing things.
Eric

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: New vise idea. How do others clamp there bows?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:05:53 pm »
I use a stave press.  I mount the pipe base to my bench permanently but if I need more bench space I can remove the stave press from the base.  I have an extra base too that I can clamp to picnic tables or other surfaces.  When the weather is nice I like to work outside.

The stave press cost me some money but it was well worth it.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:43:12 pm »
Bought a harbor freight bench for 125 that has a built in wood on wood vice. I like it!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:37:49 pm »
Built and adapted Jawge's bench with a regular vise and magnetic jaw pads, I guess it works, but I need to figure a more flexible way to mount the rille ring tree.  But right now it is holding my quiver! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 04:04:47 am »
I used, and was fairly happy with, a heavy duty 6" bench vise for my first 20 years of bowmaking, but then I built a new workbench and now I have 5 different types of vises in the shop. Three of which are used regularly for bow making. My trusted bench vise still gets used a lot, but also two types of patternmakers vises which I've really taken a shine to. They're versatile.

When I use the regular bench vise on bows that are far enough along that they need protection, I just slide a piece of 1/8" industrial strength rubber down into the vise. It protects the bow, and grips it well. I have the same rubber on my shavehorse.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Benn.Of.Trades

• Hunt, Fish, Trap
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 04:28:28 am »
Build yourself a shave horse young man.
A pricey bow wont help someone with ten cents of talent.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:17:41 am »
I have a small shop so most things are duel purpouse ,I have every thing on wheels & I made detachable bases for a lot of my vice bases I have multiple vices I usualy secure my staves with 2 vices ,handel & uppers !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 05:25:45 am »
I built a vise years ago for working on rifles that I adapted for bow and arrow making. Today, I think folks call it a leg vise. But I added a little twist to mine for working on bow staves.

You can build this type of vise for little or no money. Most of us have an old scissor jack or two laying around. Remove the crank  screw and nut (cut off with hacksaw). Imbed the thread nut in the jaw on the bench, and the crank screw in the leg. Twist I added for bow making was to attach an adjustable rest. This type of vise will hold anything up to 8-9" in width. Perfect for those like me with limited work space...…..Art

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 07:40:36 am »
I use a US made Colombian 5 1/2" bench vise. I added leather covered vise pads that hold tight, don't shift and are easily removable if you want to clamp metal in the vise and don't need the pads.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 08:41:21 am »
Very cool, I like hearing and seeing everyone’s ideas.

Build yourself a shave horse young man.

That was one of the first tools I built back in middle school. And love it, I start all my bows on them. My three old loves using with a drawknife and a bit of soft juniper.
Eric

Offline dratera

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 10:27:57 am »
I use a vice on the middle of the bow and clamp the tip to the table with one of those quick ratchet clamps so that it doesnt move around, but not optimal so good to see different ideas. Cork from a sanding block epoxied on the vice for padding, and also i have tied a bit of rope to the pin/bar handle to make it easier to open and close quickly

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 12:30:37 pm »
I use a US made Colombian 5 1/2" bench vise. I added leather covered vise pads that hold tight, don't shift and are easily removable if you want to clamp metal in the vise and don't need the pads.

This is what I have use for years, and it has been the best thing that I have currently used other than the minor irritations thy I’ve had with it. Which is the problem I’ve been trying to solve, which my new set up solves, but I’ll never be satisfied and I’ll find a problem with it too
Eric

Offline RyanY

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 07:38:53 pm »
I made this bench a couple years ago and it’s been great. I can sit while I work and my weight holds it down. It’s relatively portable and I can stash tools in the bottom. The vise isn’t great but gets the job done. On the other end I added a mortise that I made a tillering tree for so I can make bows anywhere.

Edit: Photo posted upside down for some reason.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 07:52:55 pm by Ryan Yoon (ryoon4690) »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 08:59:09 pm »
I have seen ryans bench and am trying to make one. its pretty epic. O:) O:) :BB
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 01:47:51 am »
A 4inch jawed Engineers vice. Or spend some money and get a pattern makers vice with all the bells and whistles.