Author Topic: Hemp Linen Backed Hickory with Skins (new tiller on pg 2)  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Hemp Linen Backed Hickory with Skins (new tiller on pg 2)
« on: January 30, 2020, 03:33:24 pm »
Hey, y'all,

Last spring, I harvested a ton (literally) of hickory staves, debarked them in the field, and have been seasoning them in my workshop since then.  My first two attempts from this batch failed.  The first was a self bow, just using the outermost ring as a back.  The second was rawhide-backed, also using the outer ring.  Both blew during tillering.  I studied the remains, and concluded that the outer several rings were weak and also were easily crushed (by a vise or misplaced sledgehammer swing).  Inside of about 1/4", the wood held -- it was just the outer portion that came apart.  I guess this means it's the cambium layer, even though it's white like the heartwood, and there's no clear transition between the two. 

[If anyone can provide more hickory insight on this subject, I'm all ears.]

So anyway, for my third try, I shaved the back down about a quarter inch, and decided to back it with linen (a first for me).  I read that hemp linen is significantly stronger in tension than the usual flax linen, so I found some online and gave it a try.  I applied it with TBIII once I got to the floor tillering stage, then finished tillering it and put some arrows through it.  Once I was confident it was a shooter, I put on some rattler skins which look better than the fabric and provide some camo.  The belly has some interesting coloration from some whisps of heartwood, so I left that natural.

I gave it a bunch of coats of tru oil, added some purpleheart for the tips and arrow pass, and made a handle wrap from a leather scrap I found that had a kind of cool embossed pattern.  I didn't want the rattles to go to waste, so I used them to dress up the handle lace. 

Since I've never tried other types of linen, I can't report a comparison.  However, I can say that the hemp linen was easy to work with, light, and it's holding my bow together successfully -- so I'll call it a winner.

The bow is 65" NTN, 55# @ 28", 1 7/8" wide at the fades, tapering slowly to mid-limb, then slightly more sharply to 3/8" tips.  It has a total weight of 23 oz.

I plan to give this one to a friend in NC who spends most of his life fishing (as a professional charter captain) and bowhunting.  He's been a compound guy so far, but I'm trying to bring him around.  Who knows, maybe I'll get a fishing trip out of it.

Cheers,
...Tom

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:36:58 am by Stickhead »

Offline Will B

Re: Hemp Linen Backed Hickory with Skins
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 04:23:16 pm »
That’s a great looking bow!  Like you I cut and split a bunch of hickory staves last winter and have made a couple bows from them but I am disappointed with the amount of string follow. I love the unbraced profile of your bow. Well done!

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 04:35:31 pm »
What knd of hickory. fine looking bow. Should be a great shooter.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 04:42:00 pm »
What knd of hickory. fine looking bow. Should be a great shooter.

Shawn~
Actually, I’m not sure, Shawn.  Won’t know until spring when the leaves come back on the half I didn’t cut down.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 05:03:55 pm »
Great looking bow! I especially like what you did with the handle. Really sets it off

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 05:11:43 pm »
That's a great looking bow!  Nicely done.

I have made 2 bows from a bitternut hickory tree and I found the outer rings to be surprisingly soft.  I ended up backing both of those bows with silk and they shot pretty well for awhile but both eventually came apart under my backing.  I have since cut down another bitternut hickory (from the same swamp) tree and made an unbacked self bow that didn't have the soft outerwood and turned out to be pretty good.  I hypothesized that the tree with the softwood was just from a poor growing season.  Not sure if that was it but seems like it could be.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 05:42:30 pm »
Clean work. Pretty bow.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 05:50:03 pm »
I like it.  I have a couple pieces of that hickory.  I am curious to see how it holds up.  were you able to chase a ring?

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 06:04:51 pm »
I like it.  I have a couple pieces of that hickory.  I am curious to see how it holds up.  were you able to chase a ring?
Jeff - the rings are pretty tight, but I think I got down to a single ring without violations.  Frankly, I wasn’t overly worried about it since I knew I was backing it.  If you wanna chase a ring, you’ll need plenty of light and a gentle touch.  Let me know if you want to try some hemp linen!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 06:28:52 pm »
Beautiful bow! I've made a lot of hickory bows from staves and don't think I've ever had one break like that on me. Mostly they'll take set before breaking. I think it needs to be really dry or heat treated but if so it can be phenomenal wood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 09:09:20 pm »
Anybody else flip the picture vertically and see too much lower limb bend?

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 09:43:04 pm »
Anybody else flip the picture vertically and see too much lower limb bend?
Yeah, I agree — not my finest tiller.  It was supposed to be upside down with a slightly positive tiller, but I just couldn’t get the string to line up worth a dang.  I flipped it late in the game, and it shoots way better this way.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 12:56:10 am »
First thought was: to much bend in LL.
With my (little) experience with Hickory that will end up in compression cracks. Won't take much to change that to the better!
Frank from Germany...

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 02:00:31 am »
Good effort, she looks beautiful :)
But you have most of the bend in one spot on the lower limb and it is weak compared to the upper. When tiller is off like that it won't shoot as nice as it could with good tiller and of course the over strained parts will break down off time.
Also it is more or less pointless backing hickory, learn to chase a ring and you will have the strongest back around :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 06:32:13 am »
That's a beauty in all aspects, very nice bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good