Author Topic: Limited space  (Read 4253 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Limited space
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 11:42:48 am »
Wow, that looks like a nice log!  Hopefully it splits well for you - elm can be a bit resistant to splitting.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 01:05:47 pm »
Almost debarked it now, tomorrow i will cut groovesin it with an angle grinder   (i know its not the safest option but its stikl an  option) ) and split it...
IF this log will split  cleanly in half,  would the diameter be big enough to quarter it?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 05:57:19 pm »
Yes

Offline Weylin

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 07:08:10 pm »
Your space is definitely workable. I spent all of last year working full time making bows professionally in a 12x12 shop with my staves in the ceiling. I even have a giant bandsaw taking up a quarter of the shop. I had an old sturdy picnic table screwed to the wall as a work bench with a couple of bench vises clamped to it. I use a Stavemaster made by Keenan Howard for most of my day to day tillering work. I had room for a tillering tree on one wall and room for all of my tools. It was tight but I made it work fairly comfortably. Here are a few pictures.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 07:45:30 pm »
Weylin , hope your ceiling joist are strong. Looks like the straw that broke the camels back. LOL

Jus' kidin' I use to do the same in AZ. John

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 07:54:03 pm »
really nice use of your space Weylin. I just did a long overdue cleanup of my space. It always seems a lot bigger after I'm done
bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 08:07:13 pm »
Weylin , hope your ceiling joist are strong. Looks like the straw that broke the camels back. LOL

Jus' kidin' I use to do the same in AZ. John

It was stronger than it looked but I eyed it warily sometimes.  ;D I'm in a different, bigger shop space now and I'm not sitting directly under a thousand pounds of bow staves.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 10:30:29 pm »
From the video interview of Ed Scott he works on his bows in a shed lol.  It’s doable.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 06:29:28 am »
With the heart of the log being off center you'll have to deal with lateral issues if you quarter your log. I would try for one stave off the compression side and one from the tension side. I would split like this...…...

Offline artcher1

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 06:45:42 am »
Can't repost your picture for some reason. Anyway, look close at the heart of the log and you can see the drying/tension crack starting. Just follow that crack...….Art

Offline artcher1

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 07:06:16 am »
Will try again!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2020, 07:54:52 am »
I made my first 50 or so bows in a 5X7 area in the garage by the water heater. I had a 6' workbench, on the wall over the workbench I had my drying box and a rack for staves and bamboo, I had a tillering tree on the wall at the end of the workbench.

I stored my stave collection under the house, I tried the attic first but my staves checked badly, lesson learned.

I had 12" Craftsman bandsaw, a table top jointer and belt sander that I took outside to use, either under the maple tree in the front yard or on patio out back. I put dolly wheels on two legs of the bandsaw so I could tilt it onto the wheels and roll it about.

All this was before digital cameras and i don't think I ever took a picture of my work space.

Here is my first workbench and junk collector after I moved to a new house and built a nice shop and a new workbench. I put it up on Craigslist for free and a guy came and carried it off.

This workbench occupied most of my work area in the garage, I had about 3' between it and the wall. I had a vise and post arrangement to hold staves like I have on my new bench. It is hard to imagine all the bows I made on that bench, I had it bolted to the wall to keep it from walking across the floor when I was doing some heavy drawknifing.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:03:56 am by Eric Krewson »