Author Topic: The Bows and Bow Makers of this Decade.  (Read 7068 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: The Bows and Bow Makers of this Decade.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 07:53:25 pm »
I'm forever indebted to many on that list. Especially Marc. He put up with my almost daily emails for probably a month and between the two of us I end up making my first well tillered bow. He encouraged me to join this site. From there I learned from so many others.

Simon is Simon. Truely an inspiration to so many. Took the time to not only build and post such beautiful bows. He answered nearly every reply. He also replied to almost anyone else's bows. That takes a lot.

Beadman just plain makes a lot of really cool stuff. Bows included. He has posted some of my favorite threads. Not just bows, but certainly including them

I can think of a bunch of guys not on there to, but that's a list of very fine people. I thank them all for everything they've shared with me. I miss a lot of em.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 08:04:38 pm »
Haven’t posted a bow in two years. Glad to see this boy ain’t been forgotten lol.

Could easily be 100’s list. All top chiefs. Good work boys.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 08:23:05 pm »
1st edit. bj is on there.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 08:27:39 pm »
1st edit. bj is on there.

Wow. Thanks Slimbob. I'm truly honored to be in that company.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 08:40:25 pm »
Glad I caught that error before anyone noticed. 😎

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 11:25:45 pm »
From all the pics I remember looking at. Simon and Blackhawk stood out as having some next level uncanny ability to work wood into bows. 50 different bowyers in 3rd place in my opinion.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 12:12:39 am »
I really appreciate how this forum allows bowyers to push each other to better and better work, me I just steal a little from each of them and make what I like.  But the real masters  seem to always be a step ahead in trying new little twists and ideas.  Thanks again.  Keep posting so I can keep learning.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 02:43:42 am »
I think we are all in great company, we each bring something slightly different to the party...
Different opinions, styles, tastes, timber... but above all sometimes a different way of explaining something hits the spot.
I'm just happy to be part of this forum where we all share generously. I raise a glass to all  :)
Del
BTW ... V happy with my "honourable mention" I shall wear it with pride  ;D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 10:40:42 am »
congratulations to you all,, :)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 01:03:26 pm »
Inspirational group indeed!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 06:51:51 pm »
As to Carson’s point about 50 people in 3rd place...1st and 2nd were easy picks for me. Simon and Marc or next level. 3rd could have indeed been a big tie. If Black Hawk were around he might occupy that spot by himself, but Weylin is next level in my opinion. Chris has wowed me as well. It’s gets mighty hard to choose right about there. I do want to thank everyone who has checked in here. In every case this very subjective list was taken in the spirit in which it was intended and I just want to acknowledge that. I think it speaks to the community spirit.

Offline bassman

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 10:32:16 pm »
My friend Will B. has a bow buillt for him by Black hawk. It is the only bow of the above names that I ever had in my hands, and drew to my draw. 50 some lbs at 29 inch draw.64 inches long.A piece of thin character Osage. The tips are nearly bent back at a 90 degree angle. I haven't chance to shoot it yet, but masterful work.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2019, 08:11:35 am »
Back when I made a lot of bows I found it would be in my best interest not to post any, every time I did I had to turn down all the folk that contacted me and asked me to make them one, sometimes up to a dozen a month. I distributed my bows by word of mouth only, no advertising.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 09:41:23 am »
Without a doubt that is a top notch list of bowyers. I have my personal favorite top 10 too. All of these guys have inspired me in one way or another and some of them have turned out to be some my best friends.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2019, 11:56:51 am »
Quite a list.  :OK
I even know a few of the folks on it and own a couple of bows from two of them...  :)