Author Topic: The Bows and Bow Makers of this Decade.  (Read 7069 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
The Bows and Bow Makers of this Decade.
« on: December 19, 2019, 06:55:22 pm »
I have been a member of PA for most of this current decade. Since 2012 I think.  As the decade comes to a close I have been looking back at some of the work I have admired. I have a real love and passion for these bows we make, a deep appreciation for some of the bows we have seen posted, and I stand in awe of some of the talent found here. I intend this post to be a small recognition of that talent. A celebration of sorts. A hat tip to those bow makers who’s work I have had the privilege of ogling over for most of this decade. I am a better bow maker today having had the opportunity to look over the shoulders of these men. I have inevitably left some folks out that deserve to be on this list. The oversight is unintentional and I reserve the right to amend this list upon the discovery of some egregious error that must be addressed.  Chalk it up to my age, or just the large number of talented folks who have come and gone. 

#1.  Simon. The quality of his work speaks fo itself. The number of these beauties is mind boggling.
#2.  Marc St Louis. One of the early pioneers. Great work.
#3.   Pearl Drums. Huge body of work, wealth of knowledge. All solid. Some spectacular.
#4.  Weylin. Hard to not have him higher based on the quality and quantity of his work.
#5.  Gordon. Haven’t seen anything from him in some time, but WOW!
#6.  Blackhawk.  Been gone for some time, but his bows were cream of the crop.
#7.  Gun Doc. Quality work.
#8.  Missile Master.
#9.  Self bowman
#10.  Badly Bent

Honorable mentions:
Bryce, Leon wood, Osage Outlaw, bubby, half eye, Del, pappy, PatB, badger, upstate, bow ed, Carson, DC, wizard goat, JW, JonW, loefflerchuck, mo coon catcher, bjrogg.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:21:33 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline jeffp51

Re: The Bows and Bow Makers of this Decade.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:30:48 pm »
Hard to argue with that list.  I might quibble about the order, but those guys are all masters and I have learned tons from them too.  I am really grateful for their generosity in teaching us newbies.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 05:46:54 am »
I have learned a lot from sand bagging & watching all the above but I think I learned the most about performance natural bow making from BowEd (aka Beadman ) it also amazes me how many dynamic natural bowyers there are around the country & other countrys that never post here or little any where some say they dont like the politics of threads , but there are many opportunitys to learn here !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 06:02:03 am »
Hey, you mentioned me, I am honoured, thanks! ;D And your list pretty must sums it up. Can't remember how many times I read through posts and buildalongs of the guys in that list when I just started building bows a few years ago!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 10:28:27 am »
Agree with Stick Bender.  There are probably hundreds just as good who never post their bows. And then those whose bows make "Bow of the Month" often are chosen because of artsy aspects. I prefer plain Jane bows that do the job with no fuss, but I admit I am a minimalist.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 10:38:46 am »
I think every one making bows should get a big congratulations,,,

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 11:30:43 am »
Your right Brad. If you managed to make a shooter, my hat is off to you. Minimal, maximal, dressed or not, you accomplished something few will ever attempt. I think these folks to me are exemplary.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 11:34:00 am »
Very, very flattering Mr. Robert. I learned all I know from somebody else. Very few things I have done or do are original thoughts or methods. I picked up bits and pieces from Pat, pappy, Steve G, Gordon, Marc and so on. I added it all together and put my twist on it. I wouldn't build the bows I do without them. The books I read only helped just so much.

Jim, I won BOM twice and BOY once. None of the bows were artsy in the least bit, just solid bows that were built/designed obviously well. Some folks can see obvious, simple quality and some can only see make up on a pig.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 12:49:48 pm »
All great bow builders. I wouldn"t have the balls to list them in order though.Poll 10 other guys on here ,and you would get a different list each time in a different order, and different criteria by which they were picked, and some different names like Sleek for his short bows, and at the very top of my list would be badger for his world record bows etc,etc,etc. Opinions,opinions,and,opinions.Makes the world go round.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 01:00:40 pm »
I gave this some thought. I knew that it could not please everyone but, this is just my take, nothing more. I believe most will see this as it is intended. Just an attaboy to those bowmakers who’s work I have admired. I wouldn’t find it odd if someone else’s list was different from this one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 01:38:52 pm »
I also appreciate the kind words. Building wood bows for as long as I have almost makes it impossibly to not get a few right. I started out reading every book I could find about wood bows and just started making them. I had very few break but most were badly bent.  ;D  I only knew a few guys building and shooting wood bows and they all helped me navigate and finesse the process. Then I found PA, the magazine first then once I had access to a computer at work I found this great site full of great, generous like minded folks. But it takes more than reading and talking. Going to where folks build wood bows will really open your eyes to the process. Watching someone else building a wood bow and having them explain as they work really helps understand what's going on as far as tiller, why and what and where. Anyway, we are all here for the same reason and most successful wood bowyers I know are willing to teach you what they learned from others and more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 02:06:56 pm »
   I wish we had a little better history on bow making. In the 1930's and 1940's and a little bit into the 50's we had some very good bow makers. Somehow that was mostly lost except for the occasional specimen that pops up here and there. I think starting in the 1980's and gaining a little bit of steam into the 1990's we started rediscovering the art of bow making. Looking back on it it is sometimes comical, sometimes embarrassing but mostly refreshing as the new generation of bow makers started making little discoveries here and there that sometimes didn't hold water but in most cases they just needed some refinements. I can't see it getting much better than it is now. Don't hold me to any of the dates or time periods I listed above, that was just off the top of my head based on what I have seen.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 02:16:32 pm »
I started making these in the mid 90’s. Learned from a guy who started in the 80’s. Tipistuff, he’s a member. Most everything was trial and error. If it didn’t work, don’t do it that way next time. My how far we’ve come. The youngsters today can’t imagine what a blessing this forum is.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 05:42:18 pm »
I'm grateful to be included in your short list. I owe a great debt of gratitude to a long list of people. I had exceptional help, guidance and inspiration from the very beginning. People like Gordon Ferlitsch, John Strunk, Keenan Howard, Carson Brown and Bryce Ott were all close at hand and usually very generous with their time, ideas and materials. I guarantee that no one would be talking about my work if it wasn't for these guys, hell, I probably wouldn't even still be making bows. This forum was instrumental for me as well, it's even where I met most of these people initially. I am most definitely a product of a flourishing and supportive bowyer community and I'm always looking for opportunities to give back and add to it.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 07:27:28 pm »
Well I’ll say! I guess my jumpstart in this primitive bowmaking came with this forum and mainly Steve Gardner! Then there was Jim Davis that convinced me to build my first pyramid! Met some fantastic people! Met the famous Pappy and was lucky enough to be at twin oaks a number of times. Then there is mojam, OJAM , the Arkansas buds . The list goes on and on. I am a blessed man! Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!