Author Topic: Boo Osage  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Boo Osage
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 08:32:02 am »
Bamboo and Osage are a good combo but I have had better results with a Maple backing, performance wise that is.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 08:42:06 am »
Smooth-on EA40 is pretty hard to beat.
Titebond 3 is my go to when I can't be bothered mixing epoxy and my workshop is too cold for EA40.
Resorcinol is another excellent glue but hard to find now. Somebody new obviously bought the rights to the recipe a few years ago.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 08:57:12 am »
Resorcinol is available under the name   "Cascophen"   from Aircraft Spruce.   For those in North America at least.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 06:46:17 pm »
Smooth-on EA40 is pretty hard to beat.
Titebond 3 is my go to when I can't be bothered mixing epoxy and my workshop is too cold for EA40.
Resorcinol is another excellent glue but hard to find now. Somebody new obviously bought the rights to the recipe a few years ago.

I have heard of others using Titebond 3.
It seems almost too simple/easy to work..?  ???

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 06:53:39 pm »
Titebond creeps in glued on riser fades.   Many people would rather use a glue that works for every part.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 07:20:20 pm »
Titebond creeps in glued on riser fades.   Many people would rather use a glue that works for every part.

See, I knew there had to be a catch...  ???

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 08:23:48 am »
The last bamboo backed osage bow I toasted was glued up with urac, heat doesn't affect urac. I may have done the same with unibond  but I am not sure. I would be cautious about toasting a glue up with other glues although a bow making friend uses TB3 on all his tri lams and says heat won't make it turn loose.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 08:57:29 am »
The last bamboo backed osage bow I toasted was glued up with urac, heat doesn't affect urac. I may have done the same with unibond  but I am not sure. I would be cautious about toasting a glue up with other glues although a bow making friend uses TB3 on all his tri lams and says heat won't make it turn loose.

Good to know. Thanks Eric.  :OK

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 12:01:19 pm »
Bamboo and Osage are a good combo but I have had better results with a Maple backing, performance wise that is.

From a purely aesthetic point of view this would give the same impression of sapwood/heartwood, like osage naturally has, and yew for that matter, too.  She'd look mighty nice in the hand, I gotta say.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 08:23:20 pm »
Never done earthier. But yew takes comprehension well and is lighter so for speed I would try boo and yew if you have it. Also the Osage will make a fine bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 05:54:26 pm »

Marc, are you willing to take a guess at why maple works better for you? was the maple backing sawn on both sides or was the backing taken from just under the bark?

Thanks