Author Topic: Nydam viking bow  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Nydam viking bow
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:04:46 am »
Does anyone here have experience making Nydam style Viking longbows? I've been interested in making a replica/target bow for awhile and have seasoned hickory, hackberry and elm at my disposal. Stats- around 74-75" ttt and 45-50#.
Advice is welcomed, thanks.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bushboy

Re: Nydam viking bow
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:14:34 am »
Ithink weylin posted one with the little deflex tips
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:00:07 pm »
Mine was inspired by the Hedeby bow. I think they are a bit different.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:33:33 pm »
Ithink weylin posted one with the little deflex tips

I'm thinking it was someone else. I remember thinking and someone posting that the Antler tips were backwards and deflexed, but it's maker said they we're supposed to be deflexed. I almost want to say it was entered in a BOM but I couldn't find it. I think Upstate posted a reply like he knew the bowyer but I didn't recognize him right off.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:22:15 pm »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:52:38 pm »
Thanks for the info and replies. I guess what I had in mind was more like the Hedeby bow with deflexed tips and side nock. Time to do a bit more research, seems like 76-77" would be more authentic.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 05:00:56 pm »
I just found Weylin's Hedeby bow from May 2018. A lot of good info and pictures here. I'm guessing these bows weren't quite bend in the handle?

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 01:03:20 am »
No longbow like that bends more than a fraction in the handle at full draw because the tiller would be wrong and you would get a lot of handshock.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 02:41:32 am »
If you want to be historically accurate I think you should use elm

Offline lonbow

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 03:43:08 am »
So you are looking for the kind of bow with deflexed tips and side nocks? Yes, thats the Hedeby bow. Itīs named after a viking settlement in Schleswig-Holstein (northern Germany) that existed bethween the 9th and 11th century. Most of these bows were made out of small diameter yew trees. The draw weight of these bows was around 80 to 100 lbs. There is in fact a fragment of a childrenīs bow made out of elm. Hedeby bows were actually also used in Ireland.

The Nydam bow on the other hand does also have long tips with side nocks, but they werenīt deflexed. Archaeologists found ships from the 4th century AD in Nydam, Denmark. There were 40 bows aboard. These bows were also mainly made out of small yew trees , but there is one bow that could have been made out of pine. Other findings suggest that this kind of bow was in use for a very long time -at least from the 1st century AD to the 12th century. Thatīs more than 1000 years!

I have actually built a bow of the Nydam type.

Offline lonbow

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 03:57:34 am »
hereīs a pic of my Nydam bow. The tips arenīt bent.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:09:45 am by lonbow »

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 05:25:45 am »
Bownarra- thanks for that information, good point.
Glisglis- I was leaning towards elm for that reason, thanks.
Lonbow- thanks for the clarification and the photo; good looking bow and tiller.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:38:15 pm by Hrothgar »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 06:12:21 pm »
My advice on the Hedeby bow is to scale the dimensions according to the draw length and draw weight you want. If you build a 76" bow that pulls 50#@28" it's going to shoot like a dog and rattle your fillings out.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 07:45:02 pm »
Weylin, could you enlighten me a little more. I hear what you're saying about the length and dogginess, but I was wanting to replicate the original length. So what weight should be targeted for a 76" (69-70" ntn?) bow?
Thanks

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 08:42:51 pm »
just my .02 but if you want to keep the original length but drop weight i would say keep the bend more in the outer half of the limbs, like a Victorian longbow.
tiller shape wont be historical but you can keep the overall shape and still have it shoot decently at the lower draw weight.