Author Topic: Bamboo Flooring ??????  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Skeaterbait

Bamboo Flooring ??????
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:39:50 am »
Ok guys, I have watched for a long time and read about using bamboo flooring for lams and such and since no one else has brought it up..... how do you use the flooring? The only flooring that I have found is laminates about a half inch thick or more, do you shave the bamboo layers off or am I not finding the right kind of stuff?

Offline snedeker

Re: Bamboo Flooring ??????
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:40:51 am »
You can rip 1/8" strips off for use as internal laminations or somewhat thicker ones for use as cores/bellies.  The vertical bamboo flooring is the favored type for bowyering, although teh horizontal will work for internal lam strips.  I say all this without having ended up with a bow from it, experimented in my early days with it and they broke - not from probs with the material but because of my limitations then.    But I have studied the issue through posts on here over the years in cause I decide to do it again.  I also slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night

Dave

Offline PV

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:42:42 pm »
All the flooring I've found is laminated. Haven't heard of any other kind. Vertical is  what most of us use. It needs backing to make a bow.Most people back it with raw bamboo.Takes alot of set but is very easy to work with.

Trapper

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:08:33 am »
Ok what was her name Dave?

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:45:56 pm »
Trapper, It was Ivana Tillerwell. 

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:06:13 pm »
No way man I had a landlady about twenty some years ago her name was Ivana Tillwell
                                                                             Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline gpw

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 11:22:54 am »
OK Folks , what's the real story on this stuff ??? A friend gave me a board of Boo flooring , 7 1/2" W X 96" L X 3/4'' T... made of strips (about 3/16"T) laminated together to produce the board...First thing, I cut out a 72" Pyramid bow...   Material is about 3/4" thick , I may have to thin it (planer) especially If I need a backing ...was planning on a fiber/material backing , now wood or Boo.. you guys got any ideas/tips for working this stuff??? Your experiences will be greatly appreciated...!!!!! ;D