Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2019, 07:28:01 am »
Heres it right now
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2019, 08:12:31 am »
That picture makes me cringe...I do hope he is wearing safety glasses.
1’—>1’

Offline TimBo

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2019, 08:18:53 am »
The fact that it has become stressful and scary is not a good sign.  Maybe best to back away at this point.  In the interest of his safety though, he needs to know that that is not "popping a splinter" - it looks like the whole growth ring is about to go at that point.  I assume it is on the back of the handle?  There are some major grain violations there.  The limbs are bending better.  If it were me, I would encourage him to do a new one, using his improved knowledge and the experience he has gained with tiller (if that stave had a clean back and was bending like it is now in the first photo, no one would have been too concerned!)...then let him make the call.  He may have to learn the hard way.  You might also mention not to put his face in the direction of travel when the bow blows up!

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2019, 09:06:20 am »
That picture makes me cringe...I do hope he is wearing safety glasses.
thats exactly what he was doing in this pic! he was cringing because this is when he heard the "Tick"

The fact that it has become stressful and scary is not a good sign.  Maybe best to back away at this point.  In the interest of his safety though, he needs to know that that is not "popping a splinter" - it looks like the whole growth ring is about to go at that point.  I assume it is on the back of the handle?  There are some major grain violations there.  The limbs are bending better.  If it were me, I would encourage him to do a new one, using his improved knowledge and the experience he has gained with tiller (if that stave had a clean back and was bending like it is now in the first photo, no one would have been too concerned!)...then let him make the call.  He may have to learn the hard way.  You might also mention not to put his face in the direction of travel when the bow blows up!

I told him that at this point I would restart, but its all his call. I told him the tiller doesn't look too good and the pros and cons of staying on this bow or switching. to me switching looks more enticing. I told him to wear saftey glasses and to be very careful! I told him that he may be risking physical injury by continuing. I told him that I am here to help but that he needs to be patient.

the reason its stressful is because I cant really portray whats more important than the rest. my texts have no emotion, no fear that he may get hurt, no sense of urgency, no stress on whats important, and that makes it hard.

What scares me is he is a little impatient. he told me last night that he was going to get it shooting tomorrow. That really rushed me when he asked me for help and it caused a stress fracture in goodness knows where! he lacks the experience that will tell him to stop pulling and to sit down and think. I really should back out, but hes done all this and come so far and if i were to leave him hanging he wouldn't know what to do if this happens, or that, which can hurt what people think about traditional bowyers, as people that work hard to get you somewhere but then leave you hanging expecting you to know what to do. I expect that to be the worst case scenario, or maybe that's a irrational fear of mine. I want to build positive things upon the bowyer community! I mean this guy has 1.5 mil+ people that look to him. its probably that this guy feels even more stress then me, he feels the pressure to perform well, and that he needs to get this done. I dont know.

I have to say by helping him I feel like I'm more than just a high school student. I'm more than someone that's considered weird but i'm someone that can actually help someone. I feel like im not just a kid that likes bending wood, but someone that can achieve more than what people tell me what i am. Me helping him really makes me feel like I can be more.

im sorry that this reply kinda turned into venting. I didn't mean for it to go that far.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:37:51 am by Deerhunter21 »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2019, 10:21:36 am »
I have seen a lot of his videos, and they are generally entertaining, but he does a lot of the craftsmanship half-way.  Tell him his best videos are when he gets an expert to guest star with him and work through the project-- like the cast bronze swords hanging on the wall in the back ground.  Isn't he up in Minnesota?  If he got someone like Marc or Mike (Swampman),  who lives near there to walk him through the process, it will turn out better.  My guess is this one will break anyway and he will have to start over, which he has had to do on numerous other projects.  If I am not mistaken this is part of his series to move from the stone age through modern technology.  His stone and copper axes were good, but the wooden handles he put them on were a disaster.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2019, 11:21:28 am »
The last person I'd help is someone who doesn't want to be helped. I say stop doing his homework for him. Can't believe I even read through this post considering the guy is someone who probably makes money off of YouTube and he's havin other people do his homework for him. All he's probably going to do is turnout a half-ass bow and post a how to video on YouTube that will do nothing but mislead other people.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2019, 11:36:47 am »
The last person I'd help is someone who doesn't want to be helped. I say stop doing his homework for him. Can't believe I even read through this post considering the guy is someone who probably makes money off of YouTube and he's havin other people do his homework for him. All he's probably going to do is turnout a half-ass bow and post a how to video on YouTube that will do nothing but mislead other people.

I hate to be negative about someone getting involved in bow making, but I agree with this... Have the guy join the site and ask his own questions.  If he doesn't want to learn from experienced builders, then let him be on his own. 
Taking an hour to read through Gordon's build would have avoided every question on this thread
primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=53195.60  .  Add the www. to the front the address.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 11:39:51 am by Bayou Ben »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2019, 11:49:39 am »
Plus2, Ben!  I don't know a lot, but that thing is going to blow up!  If it is already ticking, the fuse is lit! (--). Might be why I don't go on to YouTube very much!  Russell, this guy is obviously an "adult" who thinks he knows a lot, but still has a lot to learn, and doesn't know that!  Kudos to you for your help to him this far, but he needs to join in here if he is serious about bow making.  I don't think I would want to hunt with him!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2019, 11:52:40 am »
Oh, I see that now. I need a little bit to think.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2019, 11:20:07 am »
I think you should let him continue working on it and when it breaks on him if he wants to figure out how to make a real bow he knows where to come. I kinda like that he doesn't seem to be afraid to try things. This attempt will most likely fail but so did my first one. If he gets to even shoot one arrow though. Who knows what switch it might flip. I haven't seen any of his videos, but if it's a how to build a selfbow. Especially a hunting selfbow. I'd really rather the guy actually knew how to make a bow.
Bjrogg
PS left limb is still stiff mid limb all the way to outer. Right limb stiff outer. I wish he was using a rope and pulley so he could stand back and watch it. With a scales.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:26:18 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »
I didnt read the whole thing, looking at the last pic,, maybe rawhide back, and even the tiller,, )P(

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2019, 08:33:19 pm »
My fear would be that the bow will survive to shoot 1 arrow on his u-tube video before breaking,thus teaching someone else the wrong way to make a bow and then maybe they will get hurt by following bad instruction.

Offline Deerhunter21

Tiller check - video up
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2019, 12:58:40 pm »
 :-\ Bentstick, it happened.

I feel personally responsible for this bow and how bad that tiller is. Im sorry. I dont know why i do but i feel horrible. He didnt talk to me from the last pic to this video being done. I should have taught him, not told him what to do. People look up to him and now they see a bad tiller that they may think is ok. Im sorry again guys.

h ttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DfjgATg5y0wI&ved=2ahUKEwiH67Ts3o_lAhXkna0KHTymC-4QwqsBMAB6BAgGEAQ&usg=AOvVaw2HEoa5nn5fioqgghvW2vW1
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:15:10 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline DC

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2019, 02:43:50 pm »
Not your fault.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2019, 05:39:21 pm »
Definitely not your fault. I read every post made before commenting. You did everything you could to help him, as with everybody on this site. He showed no interest in learning how to make a selfbow, will probably never have a desire to make another one. His sole interest was only to produce a video, so he could move on to the next stage of human evolution. Heaven forbid he would have had to feed or protect himself with his bow. You did good trying to help.