Author Topic: dont know what to think?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline DC

Re: dont know what to think?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 01:59:07 pm »
Bows that aren't built to match a draw length
Can you expand on that a bit, PD? What do you do to match DL to the bow? 65" for a 26"DL seems ample to me?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 02:03:04 pm »
I stick with a simple formula I learned from the start. Draw length multiplied by two plus 10" for the handle section. I do this for all bows that aren't sinew backed, regardless of species. On weaker woods I add width but never length. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 02:06:22 pm »
Thanks, I thought there may be more. That still leaves him an inch proud.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:48 pm »
I see what bow it is now. Its long enough. Is it wide enough? The drawn pic looks much less than 26". If you decided to start full drawing now it may be taking on changes that would normally show themselves during the build. Humidity alone wont make a healthy bow drop 25% of its draw weight. That's a lot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 02:38:41 pm »
Wait now that i think about it, I made this bow in may for a 26"draw. over the year I grew a lot. like 6"! maybe my draw length grew to 28"? how do you guys calculate draw length? I should have thought of that!!  (--) (--) :-K
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 02:48:44 pm »
Us old farts never would have thought of growing ;D ;D. I still can't see a problem unless you're pulling 30" or so. Draw an arrow to your normal FD and get someone to mark the arrow at the back of the bow. If you don't have a someone mark the inches on an arrow and pull it in front of a mirror. You can read where the back of the bow is. I put the numbers in mirror image on the arrow so it shows up right in the mirror.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 02:55:12 pm »
I'm thinking it's the  HHB we worked on at Marshall. I'm thinking it should be plenty long and wide enough for 26" draw. Especially with straight tips. I didn't lookup the thread again but I'm agreeing with pearl. Seems like something else is going on. The last picture I saw of fulldraw looked very unstressed. Some pictures would maybe help. Did you ever seal a it with any finish? Did you shape handle? Did you change fades? Did you let anyone else draw it? Did you start drawing it further? Honestly it really seems like it could be drawn further but it may cause it to take more set. What is the draw weight now at 26"? If I remember correctly it was maybe around 45@26"? So now it's 30@26"?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 02:59:34 pm »
And I saw you switched from split finger to 3 under shooting?  Your bow really should be tillered for the way you intend to shoot it.  The pull point is different between the 2 styles and will put different stresses on the limbs.  An already weak spot can turn into a hinge when the bow isn't balanced anymore.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 03:43:46 pm »
We need the now pictures :D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 09:33:34 pm »
Draw length is difficult to define. So many things are in play that it can vary greatly between 2 shooters with the same wing span. I go by arrow length. Nock an arrow, draw to your anchor point and have someone mark the arrow at the back of the handle at full draw. The length from the bottom of the nock to the point marked is your draw length...for that bow. Other styles of grips on different bows can cause that length to vary.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

bownarra

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 12:37:50 am »
Yes changing between split finger and 3 under is not the best idea. Altering drawlength the same.
But are you absolutely 100% certain it has lost 15#? I just can't see it losing that much if it was at all well tillered to start with. To lose 15# I would reckon you would need another 3 - 4 inches of set to have shown up....

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 06:36:11 am »
 You can easily loose 15# with 2 1/2" set especially if a little moisture was added to the bow. Several years ago I went to a clout shoot where most of the guys were shooting English longbows that were marked anywhere from 90 to 125#. Most of the bows had taken close to 3" of set and were drawing what seemed to be about 25# less than what they were marked.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 08:16:20 am »
Ugh. well dang it. I don't really get how changing to three under would change a lot. I thought a well tillered bow would hold up to either.

My draw length may be 28 or 29 as when I draw, I draw to the very tip of the arrow and i think Clint's arrows that he gave me are around 28 or 29. Ill be getting pictures soon as my phone had some troubles.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 09:18:48 am »
Take a 1" square of cardboard with a hole just big enough for the arrow. Draw the arrow and the cardboard will slide down the shaft and show your draw length. Do this a few times concentrating on your normal draw to get an average.
 A simple method of checking your draw is to place a yard stick on your sternum with both arms extended in front holding the yardstick. The end of your fingers will give you a ballpark length for your draw length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2019, 08:11:35 am »
Heres pics. The right side has about 2.5" and the left has 2