Author Topic: Japanese Yumi Style Bow - New Pics  (Read 29399 times)

Offline bhenders

Japanese Yumi Style Bow - New Pics
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:05:49 pm »
Well, this is my second yumi style bow and the first made with traditional rope and wedges for the clamping and shaping.  This was really a proof of concept bow to see if I could do it.  Note: this has the form of a yumi but is NOT constructed like a traditional Yumi.

It is three slats of moso bamboo glued with smooth-on and then wrapped with baling twine.  Wedges were driven into the wrapping to serve as clamping and also to shape the bow.  The bow is 84 inches long.

It draws 45# to 50# (don't have a good scale to measure it)  at 36 inches (longer japanese style arrows).

Tiller is slightly off on the bottom limb and will have to sand the limb thinner when I get a chance.

Two pics included:  Braced profile and drawn profile .  BTW - not me in the pics.  Couldn't get him to do the full draw... bow is VERY heavy to pull and hold at full draw.  (and he's not Japanese  :) )

I have found two sites that give more information on Yumi construction.

Wish I would have seen these sites earlier...

This one has good pics of the wedge process...

http://www.dick.biz/isroot/dick/ContentE/Aktuelles/nachrichten/artikel/kyudo.html

this one is by someone who seems to know what they are talking about....  this is ATRN.net

http://198.170.108.27/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=395

Enjoy

(More pics on my 2nd post below)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:32:50 pm by bhenders »

Offline snedeker

Re: Japanese Style Yumi Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:20:41 pm »
thats really terrific.

Dave

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »
Man those things are to cool, well done  :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline uwe

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:01:27 pm »
Thats a dream, which I dream from time to time.
Would you like to tell some details about "How to" , some dimensions?
Regards Uwe

Offline bhenders

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:50:13 pm »
Here's some of the construction info:

I had splits of bamboo 7.5 feet long and about 1.25 inches wide.  It was quite thick and still had the nodes on it. I wanted to make a bow with a boo back, a boo belly and a boo lam between them.  A boo, boo, boo...  :)

Note that a traditional yumi has a boo back, boo belly and a center lamination made up of 3 to 5 thin strips of bamboo with thin wood veneers on the edges.  I was going to replace all of this with one flat boo strip.

Using my stationary belt sander and hand belt sander I sanded off the nodes (inside of the splits) and made two of the splits flat on the inside.  These two were going to be the back and belly of the bow.  I did not do anything to the outside (power side) of the these two splits. From some of the things I've been reading, perhaps I should have heat treated the belly boo so it would be better in compression. I was going to use a torch to put a pattern on the backing boo, but I forgot (actually, I got antsy to get it done and just skipped that part).

On the third split, I sanded both sides flat. The third split (the flat one) was going to be the inside of the laminations.  I also thinned the middle split towards the ends so that it was about half as thick at the ends as at the middle.  This was done so that the bows tips would be lighter and move faster.  For my next bow, I will do the same thinning to the ends of both the belly and back boo.

Next I slathered on the smooth-on and wrapped the parts with saran wrap (to keep the glue off of everything).  I then wrapped the lams with baling twine (got a roll from Home Depot).  Start at one end and wrap all the way to the other end and then back again.  The wraps should be 1 to 1.5 inches apart.  When wrapping back to the end again, be sure that the wrappings cross in the middle of the lams.

Once that is tied off, drive wedges into each place that the wraps cross.  I used pine wedges that I got at Home Depot for about a buck for 20.  Split them in half and sand them down in half length wise to get a wedge that will work easily and not break.  The wedges are what 'clamps' the lams together AND supplies the shaping for the bow.  No clamps are necessary wtih this method.

The lams will  bend away from the side of the bow that you drive the wedges into.    So for a deflex put the wedges on the back of the bow and for a reflex, put the wedges on the belly of the bow.  Once you've got the wedges in the wrappings, use your leg to bend the bow over to get the reflex or deflex you want and then drive the wedges in further.

I waited a day for the epoxy to cure and unwrapped.  Looked good.  I sanded off the excess epoxy and evened up the sides with my belt sander, cut out the pin nocks of the bow and decorated it with embroidery floss (the wrappings on it) and put on several coats of shellac to keep the wrappings in place.

The tiller is not quite right in the lower limb but the only way to correct that is to thin that limb so that it bends more evenly over the entire length of the limb.

The  bottom limb is 1/3 and the top limb it 2/3 of the 84" length.  The final width is just about one inch by .5 inches thick at the handle.  The tips are 5/8" wide  by 3/8" thick.

As I said in the original post, this was a proof of concept project.  Learned a lot and will change some things for next time.  Got enought boo to make several more.

I'll try to take pictures of the process next time.

Note:  I borrowed a copy of the Jaap Koppendrayer video and watched that once to see how the wrap and wedge thing worked. 

It seemed to work really well and you have a lot of fine control over how the shape will turn out.  Plus since the bow is not locked into a form, you can pick it up and eyeball the shape and check to be sure you're not getting any twist into the bow.

Pics below are of another project but will illustrate things....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:34:56 pm by bhenders »

Offline uwe

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:00:45 pm »
Thanks for your efforts in writing this little article. Its not a common bow and theres not too much to read about. I have the PA article about Yumi`s and the TBB as the only written things. WWW... should bring some more info I think.
Regards Uwe

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:46:08 pm »
how do those things shoot? seems like the top limb would make it real jerky. and wernt those designed to shoot from horseback?
lets just shoot it

radius

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 11:03:20 pm »
that is a cool bow and i like your description of the clamping/wedging process.

i once made a kid's version:  i had a piece of maple cut off:  1" wide, 1/4" at one end, 5/8" at the other end.  I wrapped a handle on it and gave it to a friend's kid as a present.  It's like a yumi, but only 4 feet long!

Thanks again

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:40:41 pm »
Great to see something truly different on this forum. Great work and a fine candidate for April Laminate Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:02:45 am »
Neat!
Where's the bare armed, very long samurai draw?  ???
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 10:54:15 am »
how do those things shoot? seems like the top limb would make it real jerky. and wernt those designed to shoot from horseback?

Neat!
Where's the bare armed, very long samurai draw?  ???
    Sean

1.  Correct, they were designed to shoot from horseback.  Samaurai were originally horse archers.  They used Spears (yari) and bows to attack their foes.  Swords were only used as a last resort.  The japanese used short bows but wanted more power so they developed the Yumi.  An asymmetrical  long bow that does not get in the way when you're on horseback. There is also the efficiency of holding a bow lower on the limb because your wrist remains straight instead of bent which leads to greater accuracy (or so they say).

There is a little hand shock but I think it's more that it is not really tillered correctly.  The top is a little too strong. I rushed this one because I wanted to see what I could do.  I need to tiller it a little more (on this bow, that is done by making it narrower).  Note that on a 'real' yumi, the tiller is built in.  Once it it glued up, there's not much you can do to change it. 

2.  Well, that's not me in the pics, I'm behind the camera.  Didn't have a Ya (long japanese arrow) for the picture.

I've found that I'm getting lots of calluses on my bow hand as there is no arrow rest on these.  I'm going to put a small leather one on it.  I also shoot left handed because I cannot hold a bow in my left hand, so I'm not really doing Kyudo since ALL Kyudo is done right handed.  I have a gi top and could wear it half off to bare my shooting arm but I need to get a Hakama to wear with that.

These bows are also drawn with a 'thumb' draw using a specially built glove (which only come in a right handed glove).  I just put on a leather glove and draw with my left hand. 

I've also made a thumb ring to use with this bow but I'm not very good with it yet.  When using the thumb ring I tend to get a lot of quantum effects comming into play. i.e. Some of the shots go straight to the heart of the target, others end up in a slightly different universe (in other words - some random scatter is introduced into my shooting )

I do like the thumb draw - it's like having a built in bow release...  although I suspect drawing a high power ELB would NOT be fun!!!  Perhaps that is where the 'English' draw came from since everybody else in the world seems to use a thumb draw.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:38:48 pm by bhenders »

Aemkes

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:15:18 pm »
Great bow!
Can you give some more pics? Like in a 36" draw, without string, with it but this time from the belly .. like that. Thanks.
And good luck for the next one.

Yumiguy2013

Re: Japanese Yumi Style Bow - New Pics
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 11:51:07 am »
Where did you get the design for the shape?  How did you know where to start and end each curve and how long they should be?

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 12:04:26 pm »
Dont know if you noticed but this thread is 7 years old.  Not sure if the guys are still active on here
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 02:01:05 pm »
The OP last visited over two years ago.