Author Topic: Probably an old question  (Read 5404 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Probably an old question
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 07:03:24 pm »
I hear you DC. Add sinew and it's like adding another bow or something.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 07:16:16 pm »
Sinew doesnt change the equation, it's just so stretchy that the bow has to bend more in order to load up the back enough to get the full use of the sinew. While the back loads up slowly, it also loads up the belly proportionate to the back. If the back is under 100psi of tension, the belly is under 100psi of compression, assuming a bow that has an equal width back and belly. If the back is twice as strong as the belly, you should narrow the back by half its width so the resistance to forces equal.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 07:27:50 pm »
I to will guess. I think the proper tiller makes this all even. Then you have no set! Maintaining the no set with use is the key. Wish I had that mastered! Then there is the Osage , white woods, and then there is sinew backed, bamboo backed, heck I even tried gems bock horn on the belly of a selfbow . Yes it took set. I was told that Osage and horn had about he same compression. Nice bow though. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 07:39:57 pm »
I don’t often regret never having studied engineering but this is one of those times I do. I would think, that if the back outruns the belly upon release, set has occurred and if the belly outruns the back, a tension failure is around the corner. Arvin’s take seems right to me. Tiller brings the 2 into harmony with one another.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 07:46:32 pm »
I to will guess. I think the proper tiller makes this all even. Then you have no set! Maintaining the no set with use is the key. Wish I had that mastered! Then there is the Osage , white woods, and then there is sinew backed, bamboo backed, heck I even tried gems bock horn on the belly of a selfbow . Yes it took set. I was told that Osage and horn had about he same compression. Nice bow though. Arvin

That's a balzy project and faaascinating outcome Arvin.

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 07:50:40 pm »
I don’t often regret never having studied engineering but this is one of those times I do. I would think, that if the back outruns the belly upon release, set has occurred and if the belly outruns the back, a tension failure is around the corner. Arvin’s take seems right to me. Tiller brings the 2 into harmony with one another.

Tiller is a broad term. Tiller must match top and side profile, and the bend radius must match the thickness of the limb, with the weight of the bow being equal to the width of the limb. Tiller is a BIG term, with very in depth analysis. Yes, tiller it correct and you have no problems, but what do you need to know, understand,  and do to get it all right? EVERYTHING  >:D

A good simple answer as Arvin put it, is tiller for no set, taking all the needed steps to avoid it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 08:22:50 pm »
Sinew doesnt change the equation, it's just so stretchy that the bow has to bend more in order to load up the back enough to get the full use of the sinew. While the back loads up slowly, it also loads up the belly proportionate to the back. If the back is under 100psi of tension, the belly is under 100psi of compression, assuming a bow that has an equal width back and belly. If the back is twice as strong as the belly, you should narrow the back by half its width so the resistance to forces equal.

The point is that it does stretch.  Wood really doesn't.

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 08:41:37 pm »

The point is that it does stretch.  Wood really doesn't.

Yeah, I agree to that

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 09:11:13 pm »
With sinew the back is ALLOWED to stretch, letting the belly compress less. Using DC’s steel bar example, if you glued a steel strap to the back of the bow, it would not stretch much at all making the belly do all the work. Massive set.  If you glued a thinnish steel bar to the belly of that bow, the belly would not compress and the back would be forced to carry the entire load...until it exploded.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 11:11:51 pm »
100% percent its the back. My back is what holds the bow at full draw right before I release it. My big belly on the other hand is only good for getting in the way.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 02:08:07 am »
Cool, lots of responses. I remember reading somewhere that steel wouldn't make a good backing because it has no(or very little) stretch. That could just have been someones opinion but I've remembered that. I'm not sure I believe it because I tend to think that it's the belly that does the work.
 About the "have to be matched" idea. A little thought experiment. If we have a completed bow and somehow through magic we could double the strength of the back without changing the mass or thickness would the belly suddenly fail? Do you think the performance would change at all?

I think, with no elasticity in the back, the belly must do all the work, because when the bow bends, the only part that can give is then the wood. That would mean that the 'neutral plane' of the bow would be essentially at the back of the bow. I guess if you just made the wood part thin enough, to where the thickness of wood on the bally side of the neutral plane was the same as on a normal bow, it would be able to work. However, depending on how much work a wood back actually does in a bow (and depending on the thickness and spring quality of the steel), I think the poundage wood be lower. Metal is also a lot heavier than wood.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2019, 08:12:29 am »
Which contributes more to cast, the back or the belly? Opinions?

I've always believed that it is a balance between the two
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

gutpile

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 08:26:36 am »
both... if the belly overpowers the back.. boom...gut

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 10:21:28 am »
 A little bit of arithmetic says that stretching a 66" bow 1% is .66". Should be easy enough to measure. Has anyone actually put a tape measure along the back of a bow and then bent it? I'm wondering if it does stretch.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 10:45:57 am »
i can do it when i get home and tell you what i find. im going to do this to the belly to! this is interesting!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.