Author Topic: Snake skin backing  (Read 3293 times)

Offline clintw864

Snake skin backing
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:12:38 am »
Should I remove scale's before gluing on backing or after? How is best way to remove scales? Thanks
Clint Wilson

Offline Gordon

Re: Snake skin backing
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 11:00:49 am »
Remove the scales after the skins are glued on and have dried. I lightly rub the skins with coarse steel wool in the direction of the scales (not against the scales!) to remove the scales.
Gordon

bushytail

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:24 am »
I use masking tape.You may have to do it several times.Go with the scales,head to tail direction.

bushytail

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:32:17 am »
When i tryed triming the edges,i tryed a utilty knife.The first slice i cut into the fiberglass.Got the file out and that worked great.Touch it up with sandpaper and true oiled it.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:01:07 am »
Should I remove scale's before gluing on backing or after? How is best way to remove scales? Thanks

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7361.0.html
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 03:45:04 pm »
I use compressed air to blow the scales off.  It takes every tiny little piece off the skin in no time at all.  I always make sure to blow away from the edges just to be safe.  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.